Connecting wirelessly to a HP Printer

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Nige, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Nige

Nige

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas how to connect a network printer to the Aspire One (110ab) wirelessly??

I have an HP 3052 (a network printer) which I can connect with my windows and mac based machines but no success with the linux based Aspire.

I’ve “pinged” the printer (and had feedback) as well as connected to the printer's page through the IP address (via firefox) to print out a list of fonts it supports but I can’t seem to get any applications e.g. Firefox / Open Office to print to the printer directly from the Aspire

In the Printer configuration I’ve used the foomatic/hpijs setup, the device url includes the device name but when I try sending a test print nothing (although it says processing) ??
    Any help would be most appreciated – I guess there must be something I’m doing wrong??

Nige, Aug 28, 2008
  2. Nige

JimK

My printer has a wired connection to my router and it's not connected directly to any computer. Here's how I got it to work:

First, you need to install hplip. You can do this through the Add/Remove Software program. Hit the search tab and type in hplip. I chose hplip-gui. Once that's complete you can close out of Add/Remove.

You can't run the setup program from the context menu because you need admin privileges. To run it, type Alt-F2 to get the run program dialog. In the box type sudo hp-setup

The HP setup utility should now appear, and your printer should be found automatically. Make any adjustments you need, and you should be good to go.

JimK, Aug 28, 2008
  3. Nige

Nige

Many thanks it worked!!

Nige, Aug 28, 2008
  4. Nige

criskeune

For me, it did not work,.... I had installed through add/remove program all the hp related packages, and updated featured, had run the sudo hp-setup with alt + F2, the program runs, I select ed network/wireless printer, but then comes ans error, which says that no devices were found.

I can print through the USB, but not through the wireless router ...

Someone help me here ...

criskeune, Sep 14, 2008
  5. Nige

JimK

Hmmm. It sounds like you did everything right. Do you have another computer (windows or mac) that recognizes it? The only thing I can suggest is to look for HP forums for Linux printing support. Sorry I can't help more :( .

JimK, Sep 14, 2008
  6. Nige

criskeune

Yes, here we have other two HP laptops with wireless support, (1 Pavillion ze and 1 Pavillon dv), and these two laptops are correctely configured to use the HP Photosmart C3180, which is connected to the D-LINK 524-UP router. The two laptos can print anything wirelessly. But these machine have Windows XP installed, and believe me, when I configured the network, I did not need to repeat a single step, because everything was absolutely easy to do ... But this Acer Aspire One with Linux is driving me crazy! I wish I had more resources to buy the mini Lap from HP once and for all, instead of this cheap Acer! But the mini HP is waaaaayy too expensive for a ultra portable laptop that can be taken in my bag to everywhere!

criskeune, Sep 14, 2008
  7. Nige

miffy93

I'm having exactly the same problem using a belkin print server - does anyone have any ideas as to what I could try?

Thanks.

miffy93, Jan 5, 2009
  8. Nige

gavinp

gavinp, Jan 12, 2009
  9. Nige

aja22

you have to change the device uri in cups.....unfortunately it asks for a password and i dont know what it is

aja22, Jan 17, 2009
  10. Nige

Tarheel72

I don't think the problem is the Acer, but the OS. I have a HP wireless printer on my network, not hardwired to any computer or to the router. I have two desktops and two laptops, in addition to the Acer One, and all of them communicate with the printer wirelessly through my router. I don't have any computers hardwired to the router. I have Verizon Fios, and the router is located in my entertainment center. The only thing hardwired to it is my Blu Ray player and my xBox 360.

I had no problem setting up the Acer One. It found the printer right away and works flawlessly with it, but I have XP on the Acer and XP or Vista on all of the other machines. Maybe a Linux forum can help you?

Tarheel72, Jan 19, 2009
  11. Nige

GlenMH

You can download network printer drivers for Linux from the HP site. Make sure the printer is on a fixed IP address though as it built in to the printer name and cannot be changed later without deleting it and reinstalling it.

Glen

GlenMH, Jan 20, 2009
Ask a Question