Connecting to XP home pc and printer through wireless

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by emcleod70, Oct 25, 2008.

1. emcleod70

emcleod70

I recently purchased an AA1 with Linux and was hoping to be able to use it to surf the net and also to be able to do normal office type work. In the past when I have had Windows laptops, I could simply add them to the workgroup and access a shared folder I have on the desktop as well sa the printer I have connected to the desktop.Printer sharing is on and the AA1 can connect to the router to access the net but I cannot find a way of accessing the desktop and therefore the shared folder and printer. I installed pyNeighborhood but still cannot see them, regardless of whether I type in the name of the workgroup or the IP address for it. I am a complete LINUX newbie but would like to get as much use out of the AA1 as possible. Any suggestions as to how I can access the XP desktop and shares?

emcleod70, Oct 25, 2008
  2. emcleod70

Duncan_Rowland

hmm..
    This might not be what you want, but to mount shares on my Aspire One I have a script
    that mounts a share from a known IP/folder to a specific directory (/mnt/nas)...

sudo modprobe cifs
    echo "echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled" | sudo sh
    sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.198/share /mnt/nas -ousername=admin,password=admin

To setup your printer, you will probably need to go through Settings->Printing
    (e.g. my printer is on a wireless print server and is setup there using a static IP addess).

Duncan_Rowland, Oct 25, 2008
Ask a Question