Connecting to USB-Printer on Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by markus, Sep 14, 2008.

1. markus

markus

Hello togethter,

first I want to excuse me for my bad english, my German is much better :)

What I wanna do is the following:
    I have connected my USB-Printer (EPSON Stylus C44) to the USB-Port of my Internetgateway (Fritz-Box 7141), which has a file- and a printserver, too. From my Windows-PC I can use this printer without any problems but from my A150L I couldn't.

I've installed the device as "Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)" in "Printer" - "New Printer". I've changed the host (fritz.box) and the type of the Printer (Manufacturer and Model). But when I print anything, nothing happens.

Thank you very much.

Best wiches from Germany
    Markus

markus, Sep 14, 2008
  2. markus

paisa

You probably need to update cups (Common Unix Printing System) first, as stated in the directions given for another print server in this post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=880. Please try to use these directions as a guide for your install, as you need to install the printer as an "lpd/lpr host or printer" and this is NOT supported until you update cups.

VERY IMPORTANT: If you have a windows box, then you first need to get the usb-printer working under the print server on your router in Windows. If it is working in Windows, THEN you can simply get the IP address for the print server on your router and use that for the instructions above. I was able to get a USB-printer working using the print server mentioned in the link above (which is a stand-alone print server), but I was NOT able to get it to work using a print server included as part of my Zone Alarm router. In any event, you FIRST need to get the printer working and configured under Windows, using your Windows computer.

If you have used Live Update recently, please keep in mind that some users have reported trouble updating cups after using Live Update as stated in this post: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3357.

However, it appears that the AA1 does not have a pre-installed printer driver for your printer. Best I can guess is that you need to install either gutenprint or gutenprint-foomatic, both of which are available for installation using the package manager. The package manager is accessed by first installing the right-click function on the desktop as shown here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28. Then you right click, choose System, then Add/Remove Software. Type your system password in the dialog box and it will open the package manager. Click on "Servers" in the left hand column and then click on "Printing Support" in the right-hand column. At the bottom right click on "Optional packages." Then you will see another dialog box that allows you to choose to install either gutenprint or gutenprint-foomatic. Unfortunately, that is as far as I can tell you. I don't know which (or both?) to install or whether you will have to download additional drivers once gutenprint or foomatic-gutenprint is installed. I am kind of new to Linux. Maybe somebody else can help you the rest of the way. Viel Glück!

paisa, Sep 15, 2008
  3. markus

markus

Hello paisa,

first I wanna thank you for your fast and detailed answer.

I've done the same as written in the thread you've linked. When I type the hostname and click on "Prüfung" (in english it seams to be shown as "test" or "check"), nothing happens. In the field "Printername" I cannot chose any device.

Best wishes from Bavaria (where beer is drinked from 1-litre-glasses) ;) ,
    Markus

markus, Sep 16, 2008
  4. markus

paisa

Which operating system are you running - Linpus or XP? Just checking, since I hadn't noticed that you had a 150.

paisa, Sep 16, 2008
  5. markus

markus

Linpus

markus, Sep 17, 2008
  6. markus

markus

Hello together,

now the printer is working probably. I've fixed it using a guide written in a german ubuntu-forum.

Here is a little Howto (cause I'm using a german Linpus the names of the buttons / menues and settings can differ)

1. Printer > New Printer > "AppSocket/HP JetDirect" (which is available since the cups-update which is mentioned in the first answer from paisa)
    [notice: You have to select 'HP', even if you have a EPSON like me]
    2. Hostname: my AVM FritzBox Router can be accessed on fritz.box (the same is true for the Routerconfiguration: http://fritz.box). If you have a different router, try the IP of the standardgateway, which you can see by typing ifconfig in the terminal. Example: 192.168.178.1
    3. Port: per default 9100 is chosen, which is correct

in the further steps you have to select your Printer: Manufacture and model. If your model is'nt available, try to install the "gutenprint-collection" (search for gutenprint in the packet-manager). The you only have to type the printers name and adress, where you can write anything (it's only for your view).

Good luck.

markus, Sep 20, 2008
Ask a Question