Connecting to network but unable to use internet?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by MaxDuo, May 24, 2010.

1. MaxDuo

MaxDuo

I've been able to use internet on my router from day 1. I still am able to.

I have visited my parents several times and the net worked for me there. Suddenly this week I could connect but could not use the internet.

I went to a friend's apartment today and logged into his network and connected just fine.... but could not use internet. Doing the diagnostics and the "repair my connection" did nothing.

Anyone know what the issue is or what's wrong?

I tried posting this in the networking forum but apparently am not allowed?

MaxDuo, May 24, 2010
  2. MaxDuo

JimK

I have no idea what's wrong, but I had a similar problem on Friday and Saturday last week. After using a Fedora live USB, I switched back to my installed PCLinuxOS system and I also was unable to use the Internet through my home connection (AT&T DSL). It appeared to be a DNS issue -- the only host name it would resolve was fedoraproject.org. And the Internet worked fine when I "borrowed" the neighbors' unsecured wi-fi. It was the damnedest thing. All is back to normal now.

EDIT: I forgot to say that the DSL itself was working fine when I used the home desktop. The problem appeared to be with the netbook. But then that would make my DNS theory unlikely, unless it was using its own domain name table. I just don't know enough about networking to figure this one out.

JimK, May 24, 2010
  3. MaxDuo

Swarvey Moderator

Occam's Razor? Maybe just try power-cycling the problematic routers. Works for me when i can connect but not get internet access.

Swarvey, May 25, 2010
Ask a Question