Connecting to NAS

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wexfordman, Aug 24, 2008.

1. wexfordman

wexfordman

Hi,

Hope this is an easy one, it seems like it should be, feel kind stupid asking. How can I connect my aspire to a NAS on my LAN (Linux version). The NAS is on the network and working, I can connect to it from my vista machine, but cat figure ot who to to it from my aspire.

Also having problems connecting a canon pixma ip5200r which is networked, and not having much luck. Have tried a trial version of Turbo print, but cant get it working yet.

Thanks,
    Wexfordman

wexfordman, Aug 24, 2008
  2. wexfordman

radioham

For access to NAS , just use pyNeyghborhood to download there : http://pyneighborhood.sourceforge.net/
    And follow this topic : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=89
    You'll be able to see all equipments on your network, and the acces to shared folders of Windows PC.

With some NAS it doesn't work , I've asked to pyNeighborhood author and he has found a solution:
    so you have to do this :
    type in a terminal as root "echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled" then it will work for 1 session.

to make it permanent, just add thoses 2 lines in the file /etc/rc.local ( as root ) :

modprobe cifs
    echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled

radioham, Aug 27, 2008
  3. wexfordman

kwbouchard

I had a similar problem with my AA1, I have a Freenas server running which my Ubuntu laptop can connect to using smb4k, I realized that smb4k had a rpm package which I could install on my AA1. I now have my aspire connected to my server and remote printer. I have had a few issues with crashing the server/connection but I suspect there's not work around currently as both Freenas/smb4k are still in development.

kwbouchard, Aug 31, 2008
Ask a Question