Connecting Orange ICON 225 3G USB dongle to AA1 Linpus

Discussion in 'Networking' started by liam_macca, Nov 11, 2008.

1. liam_macca

liam_macca

Hello,

I'm new to the linux scene and have a Query about connecting my Orange 3G dongle to a AAO. I have been blown away by the reviews and am going top buy a AAO asap but want to check that i can connect to the internet using an Option ICON 225 3G dongle on Orange Mobile.

I have read the previous threads and only foung 3, T-mobile and vodafone mentioned.

If it is possible to connect the dongle could you provide instructions. I really don't want to have to buy the windows version of the AAO as i'm sick of windows.

Any help greatly appreciated.

:D

liam_macca, Nov 11, 2008
  2. liam_macca

muzungu

Yes this works fine and is very easy to set up. I am setting up the exact ones now, 130 of them.

Just a couple of things.

Set it up and activate it through an xp machine and make sure it connects. You may have already done this.

All you have to do with the Aspire (linux) is to plug the dongle in. Your AA0 should see it and it will ask for your APN automatically the first time. For Orange this will be internetvpn (or it is on the ones I am setting up anyway). You will able to get this off the xp machine you set it up with.

One problem you may (will?) have is that if it is an old build it will not have 3g support on when you buy it and therefore will not see the dongle. Easiest way is to connect it to a wireless network (or a wired network) and do a live update. It will then see your dongle as above.

Second thing I have noticed is that sometimes, perhaps one in 20, the AAO doesnt see the dongle. Just switch off and switch back on.

I have found the Orange network to be very fast. Post with any problems.

Chris.

muzungu, Nov 11, 2008
  3. liam_macca

liam_macca

Thanks,

Will try it out and get back to you.

Liam

liam_macca, Nov 11, 2008
Ask a Question