Conflicted Vostro 3525

Discussion in 'Storage' started by TeaLeaf, Jan 11, 2023.

1. TeaLeaf

TeaLeaf

Hi all,

July 2022 I obtained a Vostro 3525. Win 11, 512 SSD, 512 Mem

When I try to use an attached device to either of the USB 2.0 ports the device is not seen by File Manager (or whatever the name is). For instance, if I attach a FDD the only action I can do is to utilise the 'Send To' option to send a file to the 3.5" FDD. I can only utilise the root directory due to the fact I cannot make any sub-directories (Folders) as I do not have the access. I don't believe this has anything to do with permissions as I can make sub-directories on memory sticks. The issue also applies to CD-R/CD-RW devices. I've tried at least three makes.

I contacted Dell who, to be honest, were out of their depth. Started of with the Chat Bot. They went round in circles chasing their tail and kept asking what the problem is. I suggested they take remote control to see for themselves the issue(s) but at that level they said they could not. Next level up (Tech (?) Bod in India). Again, not willing to do a remote take-over of the PC and finally says they will need to look at the laptop at one of their service centres. However, they have failed to collect the laptop and refuse to reply to my e-mails,

As I'm not likely to make any headway in this matter with that attitude I will have to issue a summons to the Small Claims Court. Until the collection of data is completed I thought I would ask more knowledgeable people for their view.

Due you think the issue is hardware, software or driver related?

regards,

Kev

TeaLeaf, Jan 11, 2023
  2. TeaLeaf

TeaLeaf

Well, no replies :-( However, I'll post some more info in case it helps anyone in a similar situation.

Unexpectedly, Dell collected the laptop. Service turn-a-round excellent. Returned with the comments "BIOS Updated" and "OS re-installed" with a "Resolved" in the Issues Status column. Laptop obviously not tested to really see if the issue had been resolved as the return of it exhibited the same issue as previously.

Chat app with the SD as I didn't want them to close the case. The SD chap did not have the authorisation to do anything other than what been done. He did understand towards the end of our chat exchange the issue better as I had been doing a little research on the issue.

Appears not to be hardware or firmware related. One possible reason why this is occurring is that Dell (and I guess other oem's) apply the latest authorised build provided by MS. Now my direct experience with MS is now 22 years previously but in them days we received bullitens or notifications of what an update or re-release was for. I don't know if Dell check the differences because it is complicated to keep track of them all.

In this case I believe it is down to MS. Apparently a driver, SFLOPPY.SYS is needed to enable interface with Explorer and such and it is no longer in present oem builds. I'm been informed that Win 8.1 is the last sighting of this driver except the one found in Windows 10 Technical Preview Evaluation copy build.

Hopefully the driver does not need updating for Win 10/11 and I believe it to be "inadvertantly" dropped by MS in the development on v10. Dell seems totally unaware of this and does not want to open/raise any ticket about this with MS. My info comes from authors of Windows development placed in a MS development forum in 2014 and updated in 2016.

Strange, though, that many more laptop/pc users haven't been raising complaints about legacy hardware not working with Win 10 and now Win 11? Go figure!

Kev

TeaLeaf, Jan 31, 2023
Ask a Question