Concerned About Onboard RAM

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Mixer, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Mixer

Mixer

I'm seriously considering buying One of these. A big concern I have is the on board 512 Mb of ram that is soldered to the mobo. If it should tank just after the warranty ends, it's likely you will end up with a brick. I did some surfing and found this comment at this link

http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop18.htm

"The last thing you want to see when you open up your laptop to try a memory swap is permanently installed RAM. That's the deal with this older Toshiba to the left, the 256 MB of factory installed RAM is in the form of DIP chips soldered to the motherboard. There is a SODIMM memory slot in the foreground which allows you to upgrade the memory capacity, but it's usually not possible to bypass failed RAM on the motherboard. In other words, if one of those chips fails, adding a SODIMM to the system won't help unless there's some way to inform the BIOS to ignore the soldered RAM."

Does anyone know a workaround for this potential problem? For those of you with a One, is there a setting in the BIOS to bypass the onboard RAM and run off the added RAM. To me this is a significant issue because I don't do soldering and I'm guessing that to have the on board RAM fixed would be too expensive to justify.

Mixer, Aug 12, 2008
  2. Mixer

Sid

The One is so inexpensive, if it breaks within the guarantee period, send it back.
    Buy the three year cover, if it breaks after that, you will want another machine anyway.

I think you worry too much :)

Sid, Aug 12, 2008
  3. Mixer

Mixer

You're right. I'm still thinking in the days when notebooks were significant investments.
    I've never had RAM crater on me yet. Chances are if it makes it past the one year warranty period, it will last the lifetime of the unit. If it doesn't, I'll get a new and better notebook.

Cheers.

Mixer, Aug 12, 2008
  4. Mixer

Sid

I didn't mention who........Acer also sell an additional two year guarantee, three years total.

Inexpensive - A lot of people I know spend more on coffee in a year than the full price of a One.

Sid, Aug 12, 2008
Ask a Question