Computer iliterate needs a bit of help!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by AdrianS, Mar 12, 2009.

1. AdrianS

AdrianS

Hi All,

just acquired an aspire with the Linux operating system.

Not very good with computers and need to know the following:

1. My keyboard seems to be set up so that the @ sign is where the number 2 is situated. Can it be changed?

2. I have a wireless Brother MFC 640 printer - how can I get the aspire to link with it as no suitable driver is preloaded onto it?

3.I want to use the webcam for live chat with my son in Australia. I have set up an MSN account - where do I go from here.

Thanks for any help you can give!

AdrianS, Mar 12, 2009
  2. AdrianS

solpuerto

Hi

1 You need to change keyboard from USA to UK. Select Settings then Keyboard and tick and highlight English (UK) and Set as Default.

2 Not sure about the wireless bit as that may need to be part of your network. You can probably get a driver if you download Gutenprint, a driver package for Linux. Go to System and select Add/Remove Software, you will be ask for a password and this is what you used when setting up the system. Select Search, All packages and input gutenprint. Then hit search. I only downloaded the gutenprint Printer Drivers Package and found my driver. Edit I have looked at the gutenprint site and there is a driver for your printer

3 I do not use the web cam for live chat but remember MSN Messanger is a windows package. I did try the Messanger prog. on the aspire but if i remember correctly that does not allow video or speech. Most on here seem to use Skype but your son would need to subscribe as well, though I belive it is free between Skype users. If you type Skype in the forum Search bar you will find plenty of info, or google skype and that will also tell you about it.

Hope the above is of some use, welcome and best wishes.

solpuerto, Mar 12, 2009
  3. AdrianS

AdrianS

Thanks for the info!

AdrianS, Mar 12, 2009
  4. AdrianS

barrie

Hi Adrian,

Re Linux brother drivers also have a look here.
    http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/

And I second solpuerto`s suggestion re Skype, it works beautifully on the Acer running Linux.
    In fact regarding the install Acer have done most of the work for you.
    ;)

barrie, Mar 18, 2009
  5. AdrianS

marleymoo

web cam and video chat works great on the one using the messenger prog

marleymoo, Mar 18, 2009
Ask a Question