Completely unresponsive and black screen after suspend

Discussion in 'Linux' started by raron, Jul 19, 2009.

1. raron

raron

At least I think it is called suspend.. (bad memory)

I have an Acer Aspire One A110, with the 8 GB SSD. I've put Ubuntu 8.10 on it, had it for the last half a year or so. I never let it go to sleep mode, or suspend(?), before now.

I had it on external power (the adapter). The battery was fully charged. It powered itself down after some time, a couple of hours or so. After that I'm unable to get it up and running. It is almost completely dead, the only thing is that the leftmost LED is blinking when I push the on/off button. The on/off button doesn't light up at all. First the leftmost led blinks shortly 4 times, then longer blinks 3-4 times. And then nothing. Holding the power-button down 5 seconds does nothing. Taking out the battery does nothing. Using only the external power and its completely dead, no blinking whatsoever. Made me think maybe the battery is low on charge, but that doesn't make sense (it was full).

Of course the BIOS reset procedure won't work at all. Also the screen is off (black) of course. Oh yeah, I have never updated the BIOS since it has worked like a charm, also I'd hate to lose the ability to darken the screen. + I upgraded memory to 1.5 GB total. But it has worked like that for almost a year now, and the only reason I can think of is the Ubuntu "suspend" mode not waking it up. (Some googlings told me that usplash - the Ubuntu boot animation - is to blame?).

I just took a backup of the thing, so I'm not worried about loosing anything important on it, but I'd really love to get it up and running!

Any ideas?

raron, Jul 19, 2009
  2. raron

Easy10pins

When the BIOS reset didn't work for me, I sent my netbook back to Acer. I had it back in a week. They replaced my motherboard.

Easy10pins, Jul 19, 2009
  3. raron

raron

Ah, I don't want to hear that :p

But ok, that's the last option. I've had it for almost a year now. But I feel pretty sure its no hardware issue, and I hoped there would be a way of getting it to boot again.

raron, Jul 19, 2009
Ask a Question