Compare the Acer One with a T41

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by skr, Aug 17, 2008.

1. skr

skr

This might be off topic for some , but i need some comparison. With the IBM T41 selling for the same price(Reconditioned), why not upgrade it with a Flash based storage device ?

The T41 has a 1.6Ghz CPU, how does it compare to the Atom ? Better TDP ?
    The T41 comes with a good size keyboard and a 14" screen.

skr, Aug 17, 2008
  2. skr

iMav

If you are comparing the AA1 to a T41, then you truly do not understand the appeal of the netbook. Purchasing a netbook will never make sense in the context of price/performance. It's all about the diminutive size / extreme portability.

iMav, Aug 17, 2008
  3. skr

gbee

You can't compare the two, they are different devices entirely.

I imagine most people will own a desktop, laptop or even both in addition to a netbook since you can't work for long periods on a netbook or do any sort of heavy lifting with the device. It will be slower than that 1.6Ghz machine, it won't really handle multitasking, you'll go blind if you spend hours using it etc. In fact a Netbook is closer to something like an iphone with a proper keyboard, it's ultra-portable for those times you don't want to be hauling around even a mid-sized laptop.

So, if you haven't already, then go see just how small a netbook's screen & keyboard are first at your local PC store. Consider carefully what you want from the machine and then go buy the laptop. ;)

If you can tell us the sort of things that you might want to use it for and be specific, then we might be able to advise you better.

gbee, Aug 17, 2008
  4. skr

judeh101

Well, you can compare the two, but the performance difference would just be too great.
    Netbook is actually designed to be affordable and no performance monster.
    Laptop is designed to save power and is sufficient for most people to play games. Sometimes to replace the desktop.
    Desktop, don't even need to explain it. hehe :lol:
    is that a good enough information?

judeh101, Aug 17, 2008
  5. skr

Mike C

Just to see how much the apsire one can handle, I made a point to use it as much as possible. I left my desktop turned off for a few days, only turning it on when I needed the printer online or to retrieve a file that was stored on the desktop. Today I am back on the desktop, as I needed to login to a message board I am admin on and delete several posts in a single thread. This is something I could do with the Aspire, but its far easier with a taller resolution and a standard mouse.

I had 6-8 tabs opened in firefox all the time, I was streaming large WMV files through Revision 3, and had AIM running with up to 6 IM's going on. The only thing I really missed going from my desktop to the netbook for a few days, was the dual monitor display. I am so used to having firefox on the main display, while all other programs using the second display. Also when I am working in multiple folders, or following a writeup its nice to spread the work out over two monitors. So I was having to Alt-Tab a lot more then what I am used to these days. Overall the size of the screen does not bother me to much though, just requires a little more scrolling.

Anyways the size is what you should be looking at if you are considering one or the other. Also do you need to have a CD drive? Is this a secondary computer?

Mike C, Aug 17, 2008
  6. skr

skr

I just stopped by Circuit City and checked out the Aspire One, you are all correct about the difference between a netbook and a regular ultra portable. Since my usage is very limited (browsing and email) i might choose the Aspire 1 instead of a 5 pound notebook. I also saw the ASUS EEE from Bestbuy selling for 550$, so much price difference between the two...

skr, Aug 17, 2008
  7. skr

Raido

Skr, if indeed most of what you'd want to do is surf and email, and some other light stuff like word processing or the odd puzzle game (or even Quake III), I'd say with those needs you're a prime candidate for a netbook. The weight and carryability will pay for itself, (as will the lower price, of course).

Raido, Aug 18, 2008
Ask a Question