command and conquer .iso's from westwood site

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Paisley Pirate, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Paisley Pirate

Paisley Pirate

Hi,

I dl'd the free .iso's of c&c 1 from the westwood site, and have been trying to get them to run on my AAO. It keeps kicking back a kernal32.dll exception when I try it (I am running without a true cdrom drive, just the .iso)

Is this the problem or is there a way to get them to load sans cdrom? Anyone had any luck with these old games?

I hope I don't need a drive right now, as I don't have one (working on the road, and this is my only computer for a while)

Thanks in advance for any insight in how to...

Paisley Pirate, Jan 29, 2009
  2. Paisley Pirate

evilelvis

You need a Virtual CD rom drive. You can google it and find a few great free ones.

I use MagicDisk, have not had a problem with it.

evilelvis, Jan 29, 2009
  3. Paisley Pirate

Paisley Pirate

I have the one from m$ for xp (it's actually an xp setup, not linux, my mistake on posting...)

Still, it's not nearly as strong as Nero (that I have at home, but not here :( ) so I'll poke about on the net and see if there is a better one...

I got it to (suppposedly) install on the machine... it's when it goes to run the game that it hits that.

I also d/l'd the latest directx (thinking that that might have been the problem). I've tried it in 95 compat mode and not, and still nothing...

Paisley Pirate, Jan 29, 2009
  4. Paisley Pirate

Rexeh

I have the exact same issue as you. I posted about this a week or so ago, see link:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13679&p=86689&hilit=red+alert#p86689

Would love to find a resolution to this. I'm running TinyXP, are you?

Like you, I have tried running it in win95 compatability mode, and win2k mode etc, same issue. Tried both C&C and Red Alert 1.

Seems that loads of people have reported that these games work great on the AAO under XP - would love any advice that is going?!

Rexeh, May 4, 2009
  5. Paisley Pirate

Paisley Pirate

i ended up buying the first decade cd on sale at Wal-Mart the other day... installed and works perfectly... even though I had to spend $15 for it... well worth every penny!

Paisley Pirate, May 24, 2009
  6. Paisley Pirate

Rexeh

are you running tiny xp, or standard XP on your AAO?

If it definitely works on tiny XP I will buy it

Rexeh, May 24, 2009
  7. Paisley Pirate

me075064

Hi all

I've finally managed to get Command and Conquer working on my AA1 running Ron's XP.

I've found it a tricky multi step process but I got there in the end.
    I've written all (I think) the steps in a post on my AA1 blog.

Here's a direct link to the post http://netbook-experience.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-install-command-and-conquer-on.html

Hope this helps.

**Edit** Sorry I've just seen that this is the Linux section rather then Windows.

me075064, Jul 29, 2009
Ask a Question