Cold Boot Problem with AOA110 and Toshiba MK2431GAH HDD

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by ceejaybee, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ceejaybee

ceejaybee

Hi,

I have modded my AOA110 - AGb with A Toshiba MK2431GAH 240Gb Hard Disk. I couldn't find any information on whether this disk would work, but I can confirm it was recognised by the BIOS (v. 3310) and I have it up and running with a fresh install of Win 7 Ultimate and can see the full capacity of the disk :)

There is one small problem I was hoping that someone on here might be able to help with - The disk won't boot from a power off cold boot. I just get a flashing cursor and a lit HDD light. If I go into BIOS settings (F2) and then Save the settings, initiating a warm boot, it will boot up with no problems.

Is this just an incompatibility between the BIOS and this drive? I've tried changing the boot order/setting a BIOS password (in an attempt to give the drive time to 'warm up' if that makes any sense) , reflashing the BIOS, but I still have this problem. Not a show-stopper as I can just hit F2 - F10 on a cold boot and it will boot fine, but I'd like to fix it if possible.. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

ceejaybee, Oct 12, 2011
  2. ceejaybee

Swarvey Moderator

I had a similar problem with my D250 after putting a larger hard drive in. The difference being my problem is only intermitten. Most times it will cold boot, but maybe 10% of the time it won't. Usually if it gets stuck I just ctrl+alt+delete to warm boot it, sometimes it actually freezes and I have to manual power-off and back on, either way it does get going pretty quick and once Windows has loaded it flies along without a problem.

Not sure what causes it and as you've said it's not a show stopper, but I'm sort of glad that I'm not the only one experiencing it.

Swarvey, Oct 14, 2011
Ask a Question