codec video 4 linux linpus lite

Discussion in 'Linux' started by amelie72, Feb 7, 2009.

1. amelie72

amelie72

Hi there,
    I am an absolute beginner (maybe hopeless) to linux OS and I am struggling with codecs. I am using MP player for a video (avi) the sound works fine but a pop up says "cannot find codec matching selected VO and video format 0x44495658, in theory there should be basic codes, right? I tried with another player but the end result is the same, I dl some stuff but it is not working...or maybe the procedure I am trying to install is wrong, looking 4 the right string to type PLZ can anyone point me to an easy and clear direction.
    I will really appreciate yr help

Cheers

Amelia :?

amelie72, Feb 7, 2009
  2. amelie72

TTgowings

Just install VLC, and you can bypass all that.. Many posts on how to install it, just do a search.

TTgowings, Feb 7, 2009
  3. amelie72

amelie72

Hi,
    THX but I wonder since I have just 8 Gb HD if it's possible to fix sw that I arleady have on my laptop, either Mplayer or MediaMaster...I guess it's not possible or it is not easy?

Thx

Amelia

amelie72, Feb 7, 2009
  4. amelie72

amelie72

Hi installed VLC player..but as usual no video just audio...but this time no pop up tellin' me oops there somethin' wrong! Ok I get it I'm hopeless at LINUX OS!

Thx buddies 4 yr help..though

Amleia

amelie72, Feb 7, 2009
  5. amelie72

woodland

Hi Amelie,

you probably installed VLC from the Acer webesite..
    Go to Macles: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/11/inst ... linux.html
    to install a fully working VLC.. he also gives instructions for removing the available mediaplayers

Enjoy your AA1
    Regards,
    woodland

woodland, Feb 7, 2009
  6. amelie72

amelie72

Thx Woodland,
    Actually I DL VLC from the macles blog...and to my surprise I managed but as I said I just get the audio no video..so maybe better uninstalling the other mediaplayer...but I'd love to write the command..where am I supposed to find the panel? Linux is non-user fiendly :cry:

Cheers

Amelie

amelie72, Feb 8, 2009
  7. amelie72

Guest Guest

hi im' also a newby at linux and had the same problem with VLC so this is what i did [Alt] +[F2} on the desktop then type terminal in terminal type sudo yum update mplayer this took me several attempts before it actually did the update you will get download Y/N answer Y press enter when it has finished and the terminal prompt reappears type sudo yum install smplayer this is a graphic user interface for mplayer when done exit terminal now when you want to play xvid avi files goto the file and right click on it and choose open with smplayer
    I had to repeat these instructions several times to get the media player to update but you end up with a media player that will play sound and vision

mike46

Guest, Feb 8, 2009
  8. amelie72

amelie72

Hi Mike,
    thx 4 yr post, great tips!!! but I did what u suggested this is what I've got:

[user@localhost ~]$ sudo yum update mplayer
    audit_log_user_command(): Connection refused
    Setting up Update Process
    Could not find update match for mplayer
    No Packages marked for Update
    [user@localhost ~]$
    [user@localhost ~]$ sudo yum install smplayer
    audit_log_user_command(): Connection refused
    Setting up Install Process
    Parsing package install arguments
    No package smplayer available.
    Nothing to do
    [user@localhost ~]$

it doesn't seem good, does it?

Amelie :?

amelie72, Feb 8, 2009
  9. amelie72

woodland

Hi amelie,

I'm very surprised that vlc didn't work for you. I've been using VLC on windows and linux for years and it never gave me problems. What kind of a file are you trying to play? are you sure this file has video?

With regards to Linux not being user friendly... well Linpus linux is not very user friendly i agree but that is only because Acer had it tailor made that way. If you would try another linux you would be very pleasantly surprised with how user friendly Linux can be. I can only speak for myself but i used linpus for about 2 weeks and then i installed Linux4One (www.linux4one.it) i'm a very happy AA1 user ever since.

Regards,
    woodland

p.s. are you Dutch?

woodland, Feb 8, 2009
  10. amelie72

amelie72

Hi Woodland,
    they are videos, they work perfectly fine in Windows OS but not in limpus lite! So my last option is? can you get me off the hook? I am seriously thinkin about formatting everything and change OS with big disappointment though!

Any ideas?

Cheers
    Amelie

PS
    I am Italian :)

amelie72, Feb 8, 2009
  11. amelie72

woodland

Hi Amelie,

Could you tell me what the file extension is? (.avi .mpg?) what video player are you using in windows?

With regards to changing the O.S.
    Which AA1 do you have? if you have the model with the hard drive you could go for windows if not stick with linux.
    If you want to stay with Linux I would advice you to use the Italian ( ;) ) distro called Linux4One.

Ciao,
    woodland

woodland, Feb 8, 2009
  12. amelie72

amelie72

Hi Woodland,
    I think I'm on the right truck! I've found out where are is the terminal and how to install/uninstall sw but my problem is once I am in terminal it doesnot recognize me as root (administrator right?)

Thx...sorry 4 spolin yr sunday

Amelie

PS
    HD 8 Gb Ram 512 MB..Windows can't run I know!

amelie72, Feb 8, 2009
  13. amelie72

Guest Guest

hi amelia i thought you had updated your repositories but it would appear not so go to the fifth post here intitled older post viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3770&p=25335#p25335 and do it all it will eventually work because i had exactly what you are getting like i said i do not know why but i had to enter this information several times when you are at the right post click the select all button then copy and paste each line into terminal

dont give in it is much better experience than waiting for windows to load
    typing sudo tells the terminal i might not be super user but do it any way else type su and then the password you used to start the computer when it was the first use you wont see any letters but hit enter when you have finished the password

mike46

Guest, Feb 8, 2009
  14. amelie72

amelie72

Hi Mike, after struggling a while...quite a while I managed, that blog is freaking awesome..even though I still don't get while the same command takes a while to be 'accepted' anyway thx a lot to u and to woodland, very precious and helpful..apparently I gonna stick to limpus lite..and have fun! :)

THX again buddies

Amelie

amelie72, Feb 8, 2009
  15. amelie72

woodland

Hi amelie,

You've battled you're way through all the obstacles... Good Job!
    Glad to be of help (if any) with you're spirit you'll master linux no prob.. Linpus is a rather complicated linux in comparison with other versions distributions that is why i uninstalled it rather quickly. I tip my hat to you for battling and mastering it

Enjoy your AA1!
    Regards,
    woodland

woodland, Feb 8, 2009
  16. amelie72

Guest Guest

hi amelia glad it worked for you i am only too pleased to pass on what i have learned as a beginner myself and an oldie at that i now that not giving up is more satisfying than going back to windows after all microsoft dont really care about the user they in it to make their employees millionaires while linux even this version is used by enthusiasts who will help each other

mike46

Guest, Feb 9, 2009
Ask a Question