Closing lid, standby problem

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by flaire, Dec 17, 2008.

1. flaire

flaire

Whenever I close my lid and goes on standby, it doesn't turn on again. I hear that it's still working but I end up having to restart the computer. Is there any way to fix this besides enabling that my laptop doesn't go on standby at all?

flaire, Dec 17, 2008
  2. flaire

csmo

Have you tried hitting a key to wake it up? Not trying to sound like a smart a$$ here, but moving the mouse or touch pad alone won´t help getting the aao out of standby as far as I know, but pressing any key might.

csmo, Dec 17, 2008
  3. flaire

info

Yes, the touchpad will not wake it up. I like to press the function key once and it takes less than five seconds to awaken. I hope that it's as simple as that for you. :)

info, Dec 17, 2008
  4. flaire

robert4380

To get the Aspire One to wake from sleep, you have to press the power button. When you go to wake up the computer and open the screen/lid, you'll notice that everything is dark, but the power button is slowly flashing an amber light on and off. This means the computer is still in sleep mode. Press it, and in a few seconds it will turn green and the computer will wake right up. I hope this helps!

robert4380, Dec 17, 2008
  5. flaire

flaire

Well it's not standby that's the problem, it's when I close the lid. I do press a button when I put it on standby with the lid open and it goes back to normal. When I do that with the lid down, it doesn't work. Another thing I noticed too is that the power button doesn't flicker amber. It's green.

I still don't know what the problem is.

flaire, Dec 19, 2008
  6. flaire

info

Go to Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Power Options/ Advanced Tab. What does it say for close the lid? It should say Standby unless you have not set it to something else (you or someone may have set it to Hibernate, in which case the behavior you are describing might be normal). From that state (Standby) when you open the lid and touch any key it should come back within 5 seconds. Hope that helps.

info, Dec 20, 2008
  7. flaire

Michelle18uk

yea it does take a while to get a screen up its like a human just give it sometime to wake up

Michelle18uk, Dec 20, 2008
  8. flaire

flaire

In the power options, it says Standby for closed lid.

Is this a problem I should just deal with??

flaire, Dec 21, 2008
  9. flaire

MathProfJohnson

As I am reading this there is no problem. If you close the lid it should go into standby automatically. In order to wake it up you must open the lid and then press the power button. It should take seconds for the computer to resume. Is this happening? If so, there is no problem.

While both of my fujitsu computer resume when you open the lid, the AAO does not do this. You must open the lid and press a button.

MathProfJohnson, Dec 21, 2008
  10. flaire

info

Standby is the default setting so that isn't the problem then. I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly but, let me describe how mine works. When I close the lid the system goes into standby mode. When I open the lid *and* touch the Fn key, the system returns within 5 seconds. This is not happening for you, correct? You are pressing a key after re-opening the lid and nothing happens. Is that correct?

info, Dec 21, 2008
  11. flaire

flaire

yes, that is EXACTLY it.

flaire, Dec 21, 2008
  12. flaire

info

Are there other devices (wireless mouse) plugged into the device? If so, disconnect and try without them. Try to run a system defrag and reboot afterwards. Try turning the power saving options off. Here is a microsoft link for troubleshooting that specific problem:

How to troubleshoot hibernation and standby issues in Windows XP

info, Dec 21, 2008
  13. flaire

mckane19020

I had the same problem. I went in the advanced power settings changed it to hibernate with closing the lid. Closed the lid, let it go to hibernate. Brought it out of hibernate using the power button. Then I powered off and turned it back on and went back to the advanced power settings and changed it back to standby. Works fine now. Not sure what was causing the hangup

mckane19020, Dec 23, 2008
  14. flaire

info

Classic maneuvers, I'll give it at least a 66%% chance of solving flaire's problem too. :D

info, Dec 23, 2008
  15. flaire

LAZ

I just had this problem and fixed it through the solution described in this thread. So far so good. The trouble seems to be with the Acer Crystal Eye webcam driver.

LAZ, Dec 24, 2008
Ask a Question