Cleaning a laptop?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Foxcat, May 25, 2016.

1. Foxcat

Foxcat

Not sure if this goes here, since I didn't really see a maintenance and care subforum, but anyways- what's the best way to clean a laptop? Mine is currently a mess from traveling... I've been using cotton balls and rubbing alcohol, but it doesn't seem to be enough. Although, to be fair, that is partly due to my lifestyle...

Thanks!

Foxcat, May 25, 2016
  2. Foxcat

Sefie

You need to buy one of those cans of compressed air, and clean the keyboard. I do that every week or so, it depends on how dirty the laptop is. Also I buy a special liquid at the computer store to clean the laptop on the outside.

Sefie, May 25, 2016
  3. Foxcat

filmjunkie08

I, too, need to clean my laptop and wasn't sure how to do it. Can I find the cans of compressed air at Best Buy or at the Walmart Supercenter electronics department? How much does a can usually cost?

filmjunkie08, May 25, 2016
  4. Foxcat

Corzhens

I don't thiink alcohol is a good medium for cleaning the laptop. It may damage the color of the casing or might affect the smooth finish. The cotton swab is okay but maybe it is better to dip it in plain water than alcohol. What I use for cleaning is a wet rag, preferably a cotton rag so it will not scratch the surface. And make it damp and not very wet so the water will not seep in inside crevices particularly the keyboard.

Corzhens, May 26, 2016
  5. Foxcat

IcyBC

I used the air compressed can to clean the outside and the keyboard. For the screen, I sprayed the eyeglasses liquid on the cloth that came with it and cleaned around the keyboard. It seemed to work, but there is still so much dust after a day or two.

IcyBC, May 26, 2016
  6. Foxcat

lisasian86

I bought a little usb vacuum cleaner for vacuuming the keyboard but it broke almost instantly. It was good while it lasted though!

lisasian86, May 27, 2016
  7. Foxcat

SirJoe

That's what I was thinking, alcohol reacts with the plastic and leaves it far tarnished. The wash cloth is good advice I normally just use a plastic polish but sometimes it leaves a oily residue behind. I'm going to give the wet rag a go the next time I have to clean my computer.

SirJoe, May 27, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
Ask a Question