ChromeOS - Hexxeh build on AAO 110L (ZG5)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by 2manydjs, Dec 1, 2009.

1. 2manydjs

2manydjs

Typing this from ChromeOS and things run pretty good:
    - Wifi works (including LED)
    - Speakers work (didn't test mic, line-out or line-in)
    - Flash Player works
    - Fast boot from USB (less than 10 secs after choosing USB in boot menu)
    - Suspends work

I've used Hexxeh's build found here: http://carbon.hexxeh.net/chromiumos/ (bittorrent transfer didn't seem to work for me). I'm using a fully stock AAO 110L (ZG5) with 1 GB RAM. I'm running from USB, but it's possible to install to SSD/HDD. The only thing that doesn't seem to work: online session login: the wifi doesn't connect until fully logged in with an offline account.

This OS is really nothing more than a browser on a kernel. There are even no system settings to be changed (other than time zone and trackpad sensitivity). It seems on this build the offline mode doesn't work (OOTB), not sure if this is a bug or not implemented yet.

2manydjs, Dec 1, 2009
  2. 2manydjs

pkmvancouver

Well if you ctrl-alt-t and do a mount -o remount,rw / you can do some things. I snag the stock sources.lst from a regular ubuntu karmic install and got aptitude working. Modified the startup to execute vlc also. It is possible to add apps but you have to be really careful what you install and it doesn't overwrite the libs already installed.

pkmvancouver, Dec 1, 2009
Ask a Question