Chrome...Tablet?

Discussion in 'Google Chromebook' started by Charles Franklin, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Charles Franklin

Charles Franklin

Charles Franklin, Mar 23, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. Charles Franklin

IBMPC8088

What's next from them, a chrome watch that only works when it's connected to the internet? *gag* No thanks. Pass lol

I won't even buy the Chromebooks. There is no way that Google would get me to spend money on those tablets. I'm sure people are still going to buy them, but it won't be me lol

IBMPC8088, Mar 24, 2016
  3. Charles Franklin

fcuco

Not as my main driver but I would consider it, they need to drop the price though because you could get a full fledged convertible laptop for the 250$ price range, something like the Asus TP200SA is going for exactly 249 right now on Amazon even though the original price was well over 700$, as long as you are able to get deals like that one this particular device has no chance. You could even drop about 100 bucks more and get something like the Toshiba Radius.

fcuco, Mar 27, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. Charles Franklin

UpgradeMe

Personally, I think this is overpriced. Considering what else is available, as fcuco said, this doesn't do anything to justify the amount of money that it costs. I have to imagine that this price is designed for Google-specific customers. There is no way that they are making this cost this much because it's worth it.

UpgradeMe, Mar 27, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. Charles Franklin

IBMPC8088

The other thing that people don't always seem to consider is that if Google is not accessible from some place or due to a service interruption, any kind of hosted OS will not be accessible to them for the features and data they need if it is not on their system as before. In the past, there have been providers (not as big as Google but stil very large) who went under, and the products people bought and thought would last for years suddenly became dead devices that could no longer be used.

Other times a company still exists, but they discontinue software and services for people who still own the device and need the company to continue providing support.

As a small example (but there's a lot of big ones) everyone saw what happened to Zune when Microsoft just decided to stop supporting it for anything beyond Windows XP about 7 or 8 years ago. All those people who bought the Zune music player were out of luck if they had Windows Vista, Windows 7 or higher. I was able to give some people an emulator with XP and all the drivers and software that they needed, but a lot (the majority) of people didn't have anything like that to keep using it. Microsoft also removed all support software from it from their web site so people couldnt even get what they needed anymore even if they still had XP.

If Google decided to do the same to these chrome tablets and chrome books that they are selling to the public now, they very well could and would force people into a cycle to where they had no choice anymore but to constantly buy a new Google device whenever Google wanted them to or forced them to. It would be even more forced that Microsoft's OS choices for the masses whenever they want to make more money off of the next scheduled public recycle.

IBMPC8088, Mar 28, 2016
Ask a Question