Choice Of Distro

Discussion in 'Linux' started by leftnut, Jan 23, 2009.

1. leftnut

leftnut

Hey guys I have a larger laptop that i dual boot with ubuntu installed and I'm very fond of that style of linux. So I have a new AA1 with the 1gb ram, 8gb ssdhd, with windows xp installed. I have already backed up the entire hard disk with xp so i can restore windows if need be but I've found that xp runs very slow and doesn't browse the internet very well. What kind of opinions I'm looking for are versions of linux that run well on this kind of laptop. I'm looking for something that will get good battery run-time (only have the 3-cell battery for now) and that run well with good response times and such. I have no problem with some tweaking I have a pretty good base with linux.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    -Left

leftnut, Jan 23, 2009
  2. leftnut

klamath

I use OpenSuSE 11.1 on a AAO A150X, 1GB ram, 160 MB HD, and it works
    nearly everything out-of-the-box.
    Boot is 50 seconds and with fluxbox it seems very light and reasonably fast.
    You can find most tricks about AAO with OpenSuSE 11.1 in this forum :

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9332

klamath, Jan 23, 2009
  3. leftnut

leftnut

that sounds pretty good do you know off hand ruffly how much space that operating systems takes up because i do only have a 8gb hard disk.

Thank you,
    -gary

leftnut, Jan 23, 2009
  4. leftnut

celticbhoy

If you use Ubuntu, why not try installing Xubuntu. I had it installed on an old old laptopwith a 4G hard disk.

celticbhoy, Jan 24, 2009
  5. leftnut

hardran3

Ubuntu 8.10 on my AAO boots in 35 seconds, and idles at 8.0 watts after doing the tweaks on the AAO ubuntu wiki, and using sickboys kernel. If you are used to gnome, just use stock ubuntu.

hardran3, Jan 24, 2009
  6. leftnut

klamath

it's 4 GB everything

klamath, Jan 24, 2009
  7. leftnut

leftnut

hmm sounds pretty good but what size hard drive do you have one your AAO. How does the OS seem to handle browsing the internet and running say open office at the same time. I appreciate all the feed back so far i don't mind having to switch out of a gnome UI. I'm considrering trying out linpus lite just because i know a lot of the hardware issues seem to be worked out on that distro but i am drawn away at the same time because of what i've seen from it in the store on a EEE box. also i was wondering if there was distro that could handle me using the SD card reader on the left of the machine labeled as storage expansion to add the hard drives size or if all the distro's just read it as a separate drive? If not then ill need a distro that is very light on needed space on the hard disk because we all know 8GB's don't go as far as it used to lol.

Thanks for all the great feedback so far,
    -Gary

leftnut, Jan 25, 2009
  8. leftnut

hardran3

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 on the 8GB SSD version with 512MB RAM. On the SSD I have a 512MB swap partition, the rest as ext2 mounted as /, with a 16GB SDHC, also ext2 as my /home. After running through the Ubuntu AAO wiki, and using sickboys custom AAO kernel, it runs great. Firefox + OO work fine, I even use quod libet to listen to tunes at the same time. A note of caution, don't use your SDHC as home with the stock kernel. It will get corrupted if your machine suspends.

hardran3, Jan 25, 2009
  9. leftnut

leftnut

alright im going to load in linpus tonight and give it a whirl. i am however very interested in this version because i am a ubuntu fan. i would like to know average load times from startup to desktop and startup to internet connection. i have 1gb of ram and im willing to give 512mb for swap with this but i would like the file installed from repository on a sdhc card and leave as much free space avaible on hd.

and possibly go duel boot with either xp/buntu or linpus/buntu i would appreacite some feed back on how well dual boots work with this box thank you.

thank you,
    -Gary

leftnut, Jan 26, 2009
  10. leftnut

leftnut

If someone could give me a link with instructions on how to install linpus on my AAO with a 4GB flash drive.

Thank you,
    -Gary

leftnut, Feb 6, 2009
  11. leftnut

itres

itres, Feb 7, 2009
  12. leftnut

solpuerto

Hi leftnut

I did not know you could buy an Acer 8GB SSD with Windows!!!
    However I have the Linpus running on mine and find it very fast and the software is built for the AAO hardware. You will see from my signature that I also can run Ubuntu from a USB stick and it is fast enough to boot from but not as quick as Linpus. One problem with Ubuntu is that with Lipus running the wireless connection is shown at 100%, with Ubuntu it is at best about 80%. With Linpus I can see my 2 neighbours routers ,with Ubuntu I cannot.
    One advantage Ubuntu has it automatically sees any Windows shared files on your network, Linpus does not. I got round that by downloading Konqueror.
    I got bored with the standard desktop so changed as per this link.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4310&start=220

You will see that you can achieve a desktop that you can configure to suit yourself. I certainly recommend Linpus once you have opened it up and I have tried a few of the other distros.

Best wishes

solpuerto, Feb 7, 2009
  13. leftnut

SlCKB0Y

boot the recovery dvd on a machine with a dvd rom and create a recovery 'disk' on the usb. insert the usb key into the aa1

SlCKB0Y, Feb 8, 2009
  14. leftnut

leftnut

Ya that would be great if my system came with linpus. It came with windows hence why I trying to install Linpus.

Thanks to everyone else who could stay on topick I'll let you know how it turns out :)

-Gary

leftnut, Feb 9, 2009
  15. leftnut

celticbhoy

celticbhoy, Feb 9, 2009
  16. leftnut

tinee

perhaps you can give crunchbang a whirl i was testing it out on my usb stick and it seems to be decent its kinda like ubuntu but uses openbox which is really light its really nice im still debating if i should switch form fedora 10 over to crunchbang there is a wiki guide on how to install it herehttp://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/howto/aspireone

tinee, Feb 9, 2009
Ask a Question