Checked your email lately?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Charles Franklin, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Charles Franklin

Charles Franklin

Here's a random question: How often do you check your email in an hour? I used to check over 5-6 times per hour, decided to stop doing that, and find myself going right back to checking again.

Charles Franklin, Mar 13, 2014
    IBMPC8088 and typist88 like this.
  2. Charles Franklin

mikelouis

I work as a freelance writer so most of the time I check my email every 30 mins. This is because some of my clients usually want some adjustments in their projects or are just checking up on the project progress.

mikelouis, Mar 13, 2014
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. Charles Franklin

Charles Franklin

I am a freelancer as well, so have to monitor emails a lot. My problem, though, is knowing when it becomes too excessive!

IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. Charles Franklin

hispoiema

I used to check my email a ridiculous amount of time too because I am subbed to a bunch of youtube accounts. Now I simply go to the youtube subscription page and check that every 5 minutes; or so it seems!
    May I ask who you both write for andhow worthwhile it is or not?
    I have been contemplating trying something like that but I have heard that many places refuse your work and then use it anyway. I have been wondering which places are the most reputable. Thanks

hispoiema, Mar 13, 2014
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. Charles Franklin

Charles Franklin

Feel free to message me for a list or check out my blog (thiscollegedropout.wordpress.com) for info on the writing stuff. I do more than writing though.

Which brings me to another question about email: Which occupation do you think checks their email the most?

IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. Charles Franklin

hispoiema

Hey thanks; I will check it out.
    Hmmmm, which occupation checks their email the most? I have to say that you guys had pretty darn good answers.

How about someone who is email penpals with a lot of people? I know it's not an occupation but I used to be email penpals with a lot of different people and I had to have folders for each of their messages to go to so I would not get mixed up.

The same goes for being involved in online groups such as Yahoo etc.

hispoiema, Mar 13, 2014
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  7. Charles Franklin

Jazma96

I check mine whenever I notified on my cellphone that I have mail, and that's about 15 to 20 times a day.. Not back to 5 or 6 times an hours a day :)

Jazma96, Apr 1, 2014
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  8. Charles Franklin

Charles Franklin

I have the same situation whenever I have my cell phone on. The sad part is that sometimes I have the laptop on with an open Gmail tab as well.

Charles Franklin, Apr 1, 2014
  9. Charles Franklin

skywatcher

I check my e-mail almost every five minutes. I'm not entirely sure as to how much good this does to me, but I also make sure I open my e-mail before I go to sleep, and as soon as I wake up - just to make sure, haha.

skywatcher, Apr 2, 2014
  10. Charles Franklin

Sefie

I check my mail once or twice a week mostly, lol. I used to check it way more often when I was younger, now I rarely do it. I just don't see the need to do it so. Sometimes I feel kinda guilty tho, specially when I see someone sent me an e-mail that has been sitting there for days. Maybe the other person might think I'm being rude and don't want to answer...

Sefie, Apr 3, 2014
  11. Charles Franklin

Maledictum

I keep a gmail tab open 24 hours a day and probably have 7 email accounts at least. I mainly use one for work though and that one is open by default most of the time.

Maledictum, Apr 6, 2014
  12. Charles Franklin

mmmaske

I can't remember checking my home email "just because". I have my work email constantly open though, when something goes to hell in the office, it's gotta be fixed ASAP.

mmmaske, May 15, 2014
  13. Charles Franklin

thestoryteller1

Way, way, way too many times. In fact, I usually keep my email open in a different tab, just because. That, and facebook, because a lot of friends I communicate with are there. I really check all the time, it's not good. I am trying to make myself to it few times a day, or once an hour. but I haven't managed so far. I always worry I will miss replying to something important.

thestoryteller1, Jul 22, 2014
  14. Charles Franklin

Krissttina Isobe

:oops:I check my email once or twice a day is all I do. I don't need to check my email as often as some of you for business or any other thing, so once or twice a day is enough for me. I do stay on facebook a long time marketing my books and other fun things to do at facebook. :rolleyes:

Krissttina Isobe, Dec 3, 2015
  15. Charles Franklin

PingPongCall

Same here, I write for a living so I'm constantly checking my E-mail, probably every 5-10 minutes. Before I started doing that though, I think I checked it once or twice every couple of days. Only because I had no real reason to go in there.

PingPongCall, Dec 16, 2015
  16. Charles Franklin

typist88

Ya I also used to obsessively check my emails. It's like a strange addiction maybe? Lol. Then I found an add-on for firefox that gives me a notification when I get a new email. It's super helpful because it shows the sender info when it does the pop up so I know who the message is from. I have no need to obsessively check anymore as I'm notified immediately. It's a really useful tool and I'd recommend it to other firefox users :).

typist88, Dec 21, 2015
  17. Charles Franklin

tomz10

I activated email notifications on my phone for both of my important email accounts so that way I only check my email whenever I receive them.

tomz10, Feb 24, 2016
  18. Charles Franklin

IBMPC8088

Usually just once or twice. If I need to do it more, it's usually because I'm expecting an important email response from someone. That, or I have to write a few emails between reading the others. I used to hae desktop notification filters, but it was just easier to check mails routinely a few times a day and read what I needed on the fly.

IBMPC8088, Feb 24, 2016
  19. Charles Franklin

thess

I check it once or twice a day. I don't expect mail so usually I just go and clean out the spam that builds up.

thess, Feb 25, 2016
  20. Charles Franklin

Hozyboy

Wow I check my email a lot of times in an hour. I have apps for that then I also go to the website because I think apps are slow in getting new mails.

I have never thought of reducing the number of times I check my email because it is very important to me and I never want to Lose a notification. So I check my email over 5 times an hour and not reducing soon.

Hozyboy, Mar 5, 2016
Ask a Question