Cheap unlimited internet on the go(UK O2 only)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lohtse, Dec 22, 2008.

1. lohtse

lohtse

Hi All

Anyone out there fancy CHEAP unlimited internet when out and about on there netbook????

Thought so.

How does £7.50 a month sound???

Good I bet..

Well if you are and O2 customer and you have a phone with Bluetooth and a bluetooth adpater for your netbook you can use the £7.50 gprs bolton on your netbook...

Ok so it's only 115.5k a second speed wise but for general browsing,emailing and even chat it's perfectly fine. I even have played blackhawk down via it and runs ok...

And all it costs is £7.50.

There is no official cap on the limit but they have advised me that if you use more than 3gigs per month for over 3months they will contact you about other packages they think would be more suitable.

So does this still sound good too you???

Well if it does and the moderator will allow me I will post the correct dail up settings for the service (they can be obtained direct from O2 but took me over an hour to get them) and then all you need to do is contact O2 customer services and ask for the bolton and away you go..

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 22, 2008
  2. lohtse

mmad

That sounds cheap, but I don't think I could live with speeds like that o_O. I'm so used to my 16mb connection at home that even the 1mb connection that my uncle has seems slow ;) .

mmad, Dec 23, 2008
  3. lohtse

lohtse

yeah but for when you are out and about its ok... You have to remember that 3G only works at Full speed within a city or major town. So when in the hills you will have very poor coverage(I know have tried it) GPRS is now very very wide spread and reliable. so for basic net access and for £7.50 it's pretty good. What more do you what? if you want full speed then stay home lol..

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 23, 2008
  4. lohtse

dskid807

GPRS is normally a lot more reliable and constant than 3g because everyone is using 3g which slows it down a lot whereas fewer and fewer people use GPRS, freeing it up.

dskid807, Dec 23, 2008
  5. lohtse

melhiore

Check this twice. I've been told that only GPRS calls initiated from mobile will be accepted as a bolton allowance. Anything using GPRS via BT will be charged separately... Obviously there is couple of ways of avoiding this by using software on the mobile which is sharing GPRS connection via Wi-Fi and is generating call originated from mobile...

melhiore, Dec 23, 2008
  6. lohtse

lohtse

Not the way I've been doing it.... all you do is setup a new dail connection-----use correct dial string(it's not a number)----------use correct user id and password.... and thats it..... the netbook then dails in using phone and well your online... if your an O2 customer and have a data package pm and will give settings so you can check yourself... Have been using this method for over a week on a payngo sim AND HAVE NOT BEEN CHARGED ANY EXTRA....... Like I said in first post it took me over an hour to get them to give me the settings... And I know it works,,,

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 23, 2008
  7. lohtse

m_w_clarke

Or...

if you have a Nokia S60 phone with wifi, then use Joikuspot to turn it into a wifi hotspot. Great if you are in a 3G area.
    I use this with my Nokia E66, and t-mobile web and walk add on; works a treat.

Or..

Use the pay as you go O2 dongle that has just been released.
    £30 for the dongle; £2 a day + unlimited wifi hotspots at the cloud. or £5 for the week (according to the O2 catalogue I picked up yesterday)

m_w_clarke, Dec 23, 2008
  8. lohtse

lohtse

yep looked at that but look at the cost......£29.95 for dongle then either £2 a day. £5 for week(I thought it was £7.50) or £15 a month.... Sorry but for how little you may use it some may fine £7.50 amonth a better option., Hence me posting about it....

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 23, 2008
  9. lohtse

melhiore

Exactly. Netbook will not dial-up but will initiate connection from external to mobile phone application - that means - according to Customer Service - they will charge you anyway. But I can be wrong...

Suggestions about JoikuSpot and Wi-FiRouter are correct - this software is initiating GPRS connection from mobile - not from external PC. In that case network operator is not able to recognize what originated call...

melhiore, Dec 23, 2008
  10. lohtse

lohtse

Exactly. Netbook will not dial-up but will initiate connection from external to mobile phone application - that means - according to Customer Service - they will charge you anyway. But I can be wrong...

EEEEEEEERRRRRRRR ok then how is it I am doing it this way on my acer netbook for past week and also have been doings so on my Psion Netbook for nearly 6 months with out charges.... And also my partner has been doing so on her ao150 foe the past week to without any charges???????????

just curious as to the answer as may be the reason for the answer from customer services is so that you spend MORE money on another package instead of saving money... It was only when I finally got to speak to tech support(O2) that they gave me the settings to use GPRS bolton+phone on my netbook...

just a thought....

lohtse, Dec 23, 2008
  11. lohtse

melhiore

That's why I ask to check it again :)

Probably they worry about using P2P software and blocking they network - I believe they filtering this traffic anyway but it's just an example. They never gave me those settings. Can you share them please :D

melhiore, Dec 23, 2008
  12. lohtse

lohtse

Hi melhiore

Yep heres the settings (ps the tech guy did mention not giving the incase people used for a server or p2p)

first to all you need to make a new connect in the connections menu(look in options under the internet explorer menus but make sure you disable defual connection)

Anyway call your connection anything you wish and then where you need to add a number add this

*99***2#

the user name is payandgo

and password is password

save and well thats it..

yep that simple

try then and see.. you will have net access via you phone and bluetooth for next to nothing. Just don't forget to setup the bolton..... :lol: :lol:

regards
    Andrew

Note to moderators

Th username and password can be found online very easily and also customer service will hand them out with no problems it was the correct dail number that was the problem... So I don't believ this is illegal to pass on.

lohtse, Dec 24, 2008
  13. lohtse

KiNG

KiNG, Dec 27, 2008
  14. lohtse

lohtse

It shows as 115kbs in the connections windows so would assume its the connection speed... I just know it's fast enough for general browsing and emailing to..(dont forget to set you out going mail server to smtp.o2.co.uk or they will not send) It's also fast enough for data/map transfer when require from our base server.... So for £7.50 a month it's more than fine for mobile access... Infact I would say it's better then the £15 a month tarriffs that only give 3 gig etc(for get the free wifi you have to find one first)...

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 27, 2008
  15. lohtse

melhiore

I was only confused with this: "The O2 Web Bolt On can only be used for internet browsing on your phone." But if there is a way of "avoiding" this so... ;)

melhiore, Dec 27, 2008
  16. lohtse

lohtse

Yep do as I suggested in earlier post then add settings as I have stated (Dial up,Username ,password) and a way you go... just read the post... And don't forget this is UK ONLY..

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 27, 2008
  17. lohtse

Scissors

Man, that's LIGHTNING FAST.
    meh, so what if I'm being sarcastic? And so what if that question was rhetorical? It's much faster then my 36K connection at home.

Scissors, Mar 7, 2009
  18. lohtse

smeagol222

I've got the mobile phone 'Simplicity' plan with the web bolt-on.

Doesnt the Acer Aspire One have a SIM CARD SLOT??

cant i just use my sim card in the acer and access the 3g internet??

THIS WOULD BE VERY COOL!!

smeagol222, Apr 29, 2009
  19. lohtse

CragFace

Although new to linux, I successfully logged on using my Acer Aspire One whilst on holiday, and managed reasonable surfing sessions to wander the web and collect my email using my ordinary mobile - a sony erickson k750i as a modem on O2 with a £7:50 (per month) Bolt on.
    I would say I had to wait about twice as long for page downloads but considering the conditions I felt it was value for money.

I have an AAO 16 Gb SSD linux. I downloaded the Live Updates, which does actualy help, and then downloaded the gPPP in the package manager. You can get the O2 settings from here: http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html ... but I am happy to go through each page if anyone wants? I couldn't get the bluetooth to work so ended up plugging the moby into a lead to one of the USB ports.
    Settings used were:- username = payandgo.o2.co.uk: password = password:tel no. = *99# and under setup mine detected modem as /dev/ttyACM0 the rest was already in place (speed 460800 etc.) To my amazement it just works; and I found it better than nothing!

cf

CragFace, Jun 5, 2009
  20. lohtse

archer2009

I have O2 ADSL Broadband at home and get a reduction of £5 per month if I top up an O2 PAYG Mobile once every 3 months with £10

However O2 PAYG for talk and SMS is really expensive compared to ASDA Mobile

So I do top up with £10 every 3 month to get the equivalent of £15 off my home ADSL but that money just sit there on the phone - anyone know if I could instead nominate my O2 3G Broadband SIM Card to be the number I top up every 3 months instead?

I'm far more likely to use that for £2 a day or £5 a week when on holiday, camping, etc then use my O2 PAYG SIM Card to make calls.

archer2009, Jun 6, 2009
Ask a Question