Cheap Laptop for Light Use

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by LindaKay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. LindaKay

LindaKay

My old laptop is in need of repair, and I won't have time to have it done right now. Currently, I am using my desktop.

However, I am heading off on a vacation soon -- a road trip across the country, actually.

Since I work from home, I want to take my work with me and work while we are on the road.

I would like to invest in a cheap laptop that is decent for light use.

Any tips?

LindaKay, Jan 16, 2014
  2. LindaKay

Sefie

In my experience the Toshiba Satellite laptops work great; they're not so expensive, but they work wonderfully and are really resistant. If you are ready to buy a laptop, believe me when I tell you need a ''heavy duty'' one like the Toshiba. Those laptop are so resistant! That's important because you don't want to have two laptops to repair after your trips.

I'd really recommend you not to buy a really cheap laptop, try to get a Toshiba Satellite. Some of them are not so expensive at all, and are actually great laptops. I've been with my old one since 2008!

Sefie, Jan 17, 2014
  3. LindaKay

LindaKay

Thanks for the tip, Sefie. I have not had a Toshiba. I have an HP laptop, but the screen is broken, plus it's old. I will have to see what is out there and whether or not I can fit one into my budget.

LindaKay, Jan 23, 2014
  4. LindaKay

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Have you considered a Netbook...there are still a few available in the UK 'Second hand' shops like CEX; Cash Convertors, Gadget Exchange... usually for around £150 or less...

They have usually been reset to Manufacturers Start Up condition; i.e. devoid of previous users data.. (but there may still be photos in My documents... if the previous user created a second partition and moved My Docs there)...

OK the screen is small... 10" but with a new battery (around £30 from Amazon.co.uk) it is small, fits in a shoulder bag easily and they are generally less than 1.5 kg in weight and most of them run Windows 7 Starter - (No wallpaper)

As long as you are NOT going to use Linux operating system, I'd recommend Samsung... If you do use Linux; then try for an Asus EEE PC; most of them work well with it.

Disadvantages... Small screen and NO CD/DVD slot - but you probably already have USB sticks that you use with your Desktop already.

As a mobile Service Engineer I've been using Netbooks since 2009, and soon got used to the screeen size... and when I need a bigger screen (not very often) I use the VGA connection (and cable) to connect to my home desktop Monitor or even my TV.

Go On! You know you always wanted one of these dinky little things...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jan 23, 2014
  5. LindaKay

LindaKay

Thanks. I might look into a used Netbook. I think it would be fine for my needs. I shouldn't need a CD or DVD slot, and a smallish screen won't really bother me, I don't think. If anything, I think it would be better for travel. I'm always a bit weird about buying computers used, but I guess I shouldn't be. I know they clean them out, but it's still a strange feeling to me. But now that you mention it, I do think a Netbook might be right for me.

LindaKay, Jan 28, 2014
  6. LindaKay

JPeg

LindaKay, I just bought myself a cheap ASUS Vivo Book. I also wanted something to carry with me when I travel. So far, I'm still in the process of figuring it out but the weight and the size are perfect for my needs.

JPeg, Mar 12, 2014
  7. LindaKay

mikelouis

You can get yourself an Acer laptop or Lenovo Laptop. Both these companies have some good performing laptops at a very cheap price and will still satisfy your needs of having a laptop.

mikelouis, Mar 13, 2014
Ask a Question