Cheap and Secure Laptop for Light Use

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Rajvir, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Rajvir

Rajvir

First a quick overview on my situation, I already have a computer I'm very comfortable with that I use all the time.

Of course I haven't really bothered with adding a lot of security to it since I don't plan on using it for anything private.

With that said I'm hoping to buy a cheap Laptop that is relatively secure, I'm hoping for it to be Linux because I've heard very good things about the Security.

I'm only planning on visiting sites like TD, Investment firms, and OSAP, which will hopefully keep my Laptop fully protected. Everything else I'll use my computer for.

I'm hoping to spend somewhere between $50-250.

Amazon appears to have plenty of Laptops for that Price, I'm just hoping to hear of a good one.

The one I am currently considering the most is the Dell Latitude D630

Do any of you have it and if you do can you tell me what's it like?

Many are used but I hope that once I factory reset it should be pretty secure I believe although I could be wrong.

Thank you for taking the time to read all of this, and even if you can't help at the very least you tried by wasting your time reading this, so again Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Rajvir, Feb 2, 2016
  2. Rajvir

vinaya

I have not used Dell Latitiude, thus I cannot tell about this laptop. However, I think Acer has some of the cheapest laptop models. I think you should consider Acer Aspire One.It is a good machine.

vinaya, Feb 4, 2016
  3. Rajvir

djtech

I used Dell Latitude. Its an okay laptop. Good enough for what you want to get out of it.

Although, Linux is great, make sure you choose the right Linux distro. Ubuntu has become really heavy off late, so you may want to try a lighter version.

With the Dell Latitude, you can easily do a lot more if you were to install Chromium OS. Windows is ok. Linux seems secure, but then if you don't know how to configure the ports and all, Linux is actually more insecure. Android is based on Linux and you can see yourself how secure it has turned out to be!

Chrome OS or Chromium OS as the open source version is called is something that hackers have not been able to crack yet. It is super secure. Don't believe me, check out these resources:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/decrypt-os-security-showdown/

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/77556.html

These may be a little dated, but Chrome OS has only become more secure over the years.

djtech, Feb 5, 2016
  4. Rajvir

IcyBC

If I can't get my HP laptop fixed, I am thinking in the same way of getting a small and affordable little Window laptop. My nephew's school is using Chrome Book and each student is responsible for his/her own Chrome Book. I will have to look into this more.

IcyBC, Feb 7, 2016
Ask a Question