Charging during usage

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Davienna, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Davienna

Davienna

This has been puzzling my mind for a while and I didn't think of researching it but I am now feeling curious once again.
    Is it better to keep a new laptop on charge while using it or unplug once it's fully charged?
    Which will cause more damage and faster deteriorating of the battery?

Davienna, Jul 25, 2016
  2. Davienna

afatosum

I have realized that charging while using my laptop tends to destroy the battery faster. Charge the laptop until its fully charged then unplug the charger once fully charged. This makes the battery last longer.

afatosum, Jul 25, 2016
  3. Davienna

IcyBC

I think if you want to keep it plug in, then take out your battery. If you keep the battery in there it can get heat up and ruin your battery. They don't make it to last in the first place.

IcyBC, Jul 25, 2016
  4. Davienna

fcuco

The battery's life is measured in cycles, that's it, the number of times it is charged and fully depleted. In theory modern batteries don't get damaged if you leave them connected to the power after the charging ins completed, but I have seen conflicting information regarding this. What I know for sure is that if you unplug and use the battery it is better to leave it unplugged until the battery loses all charge, if I remember correctly the worst thing that you can do is to be continuously plugging and unplugging the power supply, as this counts as cycles even if your battery was never fully drained, and, as I mentioned, batteries have a finite amount of cycles until they die.

fcuco, Jul 28, 2016
  5. Davienna

Novelangel

I've had a notebook computer since 2008, and have always used it while plugged in. In fact, I can't recall ever using it without the cord. The battery still charges, everything works fine. It's a bit quirky from age, of course, but it still has the original battery in it and I'm not going to bother replacing it, since I pretty much just use it at home anyway.

Novelangel, Jul 28, 2016
  6. Davienna

Corzhens

I asked our office tech on this charging while using. Since there are many laptops as official issue for officers in our company, the tech said it is a good question. However, it depends on the type of battery. For the battery of my HP Elite, it doesn't matter if you use it while charging or not because the battery can charge properly and at the same time discharge (because you are using). But I have noticed that the charging is greater than the discharge so that means even if I use it continuously, the battery will still reach full charge.

Corzhens, Jul 28, 2016
  7. Davienna

rootle

I've been wondering something similar fora while as well. My dad used to say if you charge your laptop too much, without letting it run out of battery every now and then. Basically laptops could get overcharged. I wonder if there is truth to this or whether its just a myth taht my dad picked up on.

rootle, Jul 28, 2016
Ask a Question