Charging Circuit - Blown fuse?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by bakageta, Aug 10, 2009.

1. bakageta

bakageta

I recently loaned my AAO to a friend for a trip, and he managed to lose the power brick. He replaced it with some no-name ebay one, which I wasn't thrilled about, but at least it worked. A few weeks later, the brick made that dreadful electrical crack, and the power led on the brick started to flicker off and on. I unplugged it, of course, and cracked open the brick to find one of the smaller capacitors had blown. The AAO was still working fine on battery power, so I just wrote it off as cheap ebay garbage and figured I'd track down another power brick. I hooked my AAO up to a friend's official power brick, and found out it wouldn't charge. With it off there's no LED on the AAO, and with it on it doesn't recognize that power is plugged in.

I'm assuming the problem is a fuse on the main board. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should be checking? I've got a multimeter, and a friend who can do the work to replace it but is too lazy to figure out what to replace.

bakageta, Aug 10, 2009
  2. bakageta

jerryt

Bottom of motherboard next to the plug for the charger you will find "PF1".

PF1 is a part number "BUS-5A-1206" Fuse.

Connect the battery and charger and then short the two sides of PF1 with a paper clip, if the charging light comes on then PF1 is blown.
    Or with a voltmeter check for voltage on only one side of PF1.

jerryt, Aug 10, 2009
  3. bakageta

DogEater008

Hi jerryt,

I just checked the p1 fuse and it seems that's the problem. Do you know where i can buy a replacement fuse?

Thanks,

DogEater008, Aug 23, 2009
  4. bakageta

DogEater008

DogEater008, Aug 23, 2009
  5. bakageta

jerryt

6. bakageta

DogEater008

thank you so much, I just ordered 4 of them.

Now i can fix up my old aspire one and use it as a HTPC ..?

DogEater008, Aug 24, 2009
Ask a Question