Changing the Search Engine for the desktop search bar

Discussion in 'Linux' started by shinratdr, Jul 19, 2008.

1. shinratdr

shinratdr

I have the Linpus desktop almost exactly how I want it, however I hate Yahoo, and would much rather have that search bar on the desktop use Google. I wouldn't think this possible, seeing as there is no option in the GUI preferences to change anything about the search bar. But same goes for the desktop and all that required was editing a text file, so please, if anyone has any ideas, it would be much appreciated.

shinratdr, Jul 19, 2008
  2. shinratdr

zk2008

It's funny... I posted something similar earlier today. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any "simple" way to make this change... I found the file that creates the searchbar... however, it's an executable... Not sure if it uses smaller files or what... I suspect there is a way to stop it from popping up completely (you wouldn't have that bar up there)... but I think that wouldn't be that good- I wonder how difficult it would be for someone to make their own search bar to replace it... I'd like to be able to search the "desktop," "google," or "wikipedia." I don't know... do something different than what's there. Currently there is an icon that links you to wikipedia's website... what's the point of that, though? I'd rather just use the main data entry field and be able to choose to search wiki....

Sorry this isn't helpful... but at least it's a bump :p.... I know I'm rambling-- but I've been drinking/playing around on my One for the past 3 hrs :D

zk2008, Jul 19, 2008
  3. shinratdr

zk2008

So check this out... I found out somehow that the search bar is called "acer-search-desktop"... I did a search for this and found there are two files with this title... one is the one that we start up with (acer-search-desktop), the other is acer-search-desktop.old if you click on it directly from the search finding, it looks like it's nearly exactly the same as the search bar we already have going-- except it uses Google! This made me really excited.... so I did a search for files (including hidden ones) that contained the text "acer-search-desktop" and using root access, I opened up the 2 files using mousepad and was able to replace acer-search-desktop each time it came up with acer-search-desktop.

File 1: /etc/rc.d/session/xfdesktop.sh
    there is one instance of acer-search-desktop

File 2: /usr/share/search-bar/start-search_bar.sh
    there are 3 instances of acer-search-desktop

Now I restarted my one, and I have the new search bar! :) It's not perfect, though... it looks like this was a project someone started and then gave up on... on the right hand side of the search bar it has the "G" and half the "o" from the beginning of the word "Google." Also, it always stays on top.... :( Is there one of you out there that would know how to fix these problems? Especially the always on top problem...

I'd really appreciate your help!

Anyone have any other solutions, feel free to chime in... Even if it means installing an alternate search bar.

zk2008, Jul 19, 2008
  4. shinratdr

Duke

I hope someone finds a solution because I'm not that fond of Yahoo myself...

Duke, Jul 19, 2008
  5. shinratdr

zk2008

Would someone mind opening up the following files and posting the text in a reply to this post, please... you might have to use a terminal to get root access and open them with mousepad...

File 1: /etc/rc.d/session/xfdesktop.sh
    File 2: /usr/share/search-bar/start-search_bar.sh

I made changes to these files that did temporarily remove the search bar on my system-- however, now it's back, and I'd like to restore these files to their default contents so that I don't have issues in the future when a permanent fix is found.

Thanks in Advance

Zack

zk2008, Jul 22, 2008
  6. shinratdr

zk2008

bump... still need those file contents if someone wouldn't mind helping me out...

TIA

zk2008, Jul 23, 2008
  7. shinratdr

dandesigns

hi, i uploaded the files you need (not the xfce though. will upload later.

it's in the "Wallpaper" post on General discussion. It also has the instruction on how to google with the top search bar. :)

dandesigns, Jul 25, 2008
Ask a Question