Changer "user" to "myownusername" in Linpus default A1 OS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by daymz, Jul 28, 2008.

1. daymz

daymz

Hey folks,

Just got my brand new Aspire One, unlocked the advanced mode right away.

Now, there are two things I'd like to do, and I haven't found any solution to that here on the forums (although it's been discussed a little here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=363&p=3285&hilit=autologin#p3285). Basically, I'd like to return the Aspire One to a multi-user environment, which means:

1) Disable the autologin. Linpus should have a login prompt of some kind, and I suspect there's an auto-login to default user "user" somewhere. Anyone played with that ?

2) Make sure there aren't any dependencies to the username "user", or that if there are any, they're made on the UID 500 ("user") so that I can actually change the username from "user" to my nickname (and change the home directory at the same time, both in the /etc/passwd and the directory name in /home -- again, I'm assuming that there is no hard coded references, for example, the mount that occurs on /mnt/home from /home/user).

Anyone have any experience with all that ?

If not, I'll definitely start playing around with that as soon as I can figure out a way to clone/ghost my current setup and find a reliable way to restore the system to its current state via a USB key. Currently downloading Clonezilla to see if that will do the job. But that's another topic.

*** EDIT ***
    For part (1) of this message, a How-to was just posted here, which works. I just tested it. Thanks !
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=363#p3710

I'll try part (2) of my message shortly and report back here.

daymz, Jul 28, 2008
  2. daymz

daymz

Re: Disable Autologin on default OS (Linpus Lite)

Ok so, part (2) works fine too. Just make sure you have the DontVTSSwitch to "no" in xorg.conf (see above link to disable autologin), you may need it.

I was booted in a X Terminal and entered the following commands as root (or sudo, as you wish)

- mv /home/user /home/newusername
    - usermod -d /home/newusername user
    - usermod -l newusername user

This will change your username from "user" to "newusername", and will change your home directory from /home/user to /home/newusername keeping your existing folders and files.

Now, after doing that, I couldn't do a shutdown in Xfce4 using the default A1 user interface, so that's where the DontVTSSwitch came handy.

* Press Alt+Control+F1 to switch to the text console

and as root or as sudo type:

- reboot

(you may replace reboot by shutdown, maybe it's nicer)

daymz, Jul 29, 2008
Ask a Question