Change username user to something other

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Dros, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Dros

Dros

Hi,

the standarduser on the Acer is the username "user". If you have autologin disabled, as described elsewhere, you may be bothered not to be addressed with your right (user)name. To change that, go with ALT-F2 into the terminal and enter:

Code:
    sudo usermod -l YOURNAME user
    After a reboot you can log into the computer with the changed username. Because you're only changing the name and not the User-ID, all settings and icons will stay and not reset to default.

Hope that helps
    Alex

Dros, Sep 22, 2008
  2. Dros

Dros

Hi,

I have the Desktop-Changer to XFCE Standard Desktop installed, as written here in the HowTo. If you want really to change between the Acer and the standards XFCE Desktop (which accidentally did a friend), you can't change it back to XFCE standard. Thats why the script changing the desktop uses the username in a directory path and not the users home dir, as written in the passwd. So you can change the script, or rename the username back to user to make switching work again.

Dros

Dros, Sep 29, 2008
  3. Dros

blackhawk

Keep the user name 'user' but change the real name using userinfo application:
    Code:
    $ userinfo

This application change user real name in passwd file.

Since we talk about gdm here, gdmphotosetup may be interesting application too :)

blackhawk, Sep 29, 2008
  4. Dros

jknights

Another successful change to the little AAO.

Thanks very much.

jknights, Dec 20, 2008
  5. Dros

karplus

I tries this tip and it resulted in breaking my system.
    After reboot, linpus loading was stuck at a black screen with a X cursor.

I used a live cd to restore user name to "user" in /etc/passwd, after doing it linpus always stuck at black screen but cursor became normal.
    Alt+f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6 didn't work for opening consoles.

While it was stuck i managed (i don't know how) to get aao in standby, when i resumed i was on the default xfce desktop, so i gave the command of this how to to set user name as "user", but after reboot nothing changed.

Finally i had to re-install linpus lite from acer dvd. :cry:

karplus, Dec 23, 2008
  6. Dros

Freya

I had a similar problem to the above poster.

I mean, as with all tips, caveat lector, but either back up first and prepare for the worst, or search around for a better way to do this.

Freya, Jun 13, 2009
Ask a Question