CD Ripper

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dibble, Apr 7, 2009.

1. dibble

dibble

Hi,
    I've bought an external CD/DVD rewriter and am trying to find a simple program to rip CDs,, save them as mp3/wma(?) files, label them, organise them and burn CD-RW for my car.
    I have searched the forum but being a complete computer idiot can't realy find what I'm looking for.

Cheers James

dibble, Apr 7, 2009
  2. dibble

charlie01

charlie01, Apr 7, 2009
  3. dibble

donec

Are you running Linpus?

donec, Apr 8, 2009
  4. dibble

dibble

I'm running the standard Linex it came with (and hope to never have to use MS again), I'm willing to expand my knowledge and have a play around.
    I'm had a Sinclair ZX-81(1k ROM, 1K RAM, tape recorder to load programs) but then never needed a computer till a few years ago and missed the IT revolution . The last lot who didn't use computers at school.
    Can someone explain Repositories to me?

James

dibble, Apr 8, 2009
  5. dibble

rbil

I don't know if it's in the Linpus repos, but you can try installing ripperx.

Cheers.

rbil, Apr 8, 2009
  6. dibble

Aspiration

If you search on the forums there is a cd/dvd ripper called baker something.

Aspiration, Apr 8, 2009
  7. dibble

dibble

I've managed to load Grip (took a long while to discover Advanced desktop :oops: :oops: ) the problem I now have is Grip can't initialise the Elonex CD/DVD-rw drive, any ideas??

dibble, Apr 8, 2009
  8. dibble

donec

Repositories as discussed here are Software Repositories and here is a link to a good explanation....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_repository
    But essentially it is a location usually a URL / web address that has programs to download from.

donec, Apr 10, 2009
  9. dibble

Aspiration

the linux cd burner software is gnomebaker.sh.zip.
    Be aware that it will not write to some types of cd's (if memory serves). I quickly looked through the information file provided and I believe it can handle cd-rw disks. It seems to handle making audio cd's too. I haven't run the program and tried to actually write to the cd writeable drive because I have to first remove my dvd rom from the external case and reinstall my cd writer. The software's icon is pasted into the files section of the desktop and can be accessed from there.
    I would suggest using the advanced menu, selecting system and add/remove programs to search for it and follow the instructions to install it. Like most linpus lite installs it first runs the archiver to unzip it and then you go into the folder with .sh extension to see the unzipped files. You can read the unzipped info file before installing it by clicking on the file with the same name as the folder.
    When I installed it... the computer screen went blank and the computer locked up. Pressing a few buttons caused the computer to reboot, caused it to connect to the wrong wi-fi (not the default one), so I had to fix the wi-fi issue by manually selecting my default wi-fi. The help files says Acer is not responsible if the software doesn't work properly. Trying to get Acer to help with any kind of software issues isn't going to happen anyways.

Aspiration, Aug 1, 2009
Ask a Question