CCleaner

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by bluesfloyd, Nov 14, 2015.

1. bluesfloyd

bluesfloyd

hi guys,
    I am using CCleaner on my laptop, it comes with some of the boxes below ticked, what boxes left clear would you guys tick for a better clean, thanks for your time,

all the best, bluesfloyd.

Untitled.jpg

bluesfloyd, Nov 14, 2015
  2. bluesfloyd

IcyBC

I think you have covered what I had on my laptop when I am using CCleaner too. I also use the utility what comes with my laptop to do the defragment of my disk just to be on a better side!

IcyBC, Nov 15, 2015
  3. bluesfloyd

sparkster

I would leave the settings as they are by default, which is what I am assuming you have posted above. You really don't need to change the settings with CCleaner. It's an excellent piece of software. Just make sure you back up the registry each time you do a registry clean. That way, if something fails to work afterwards you can just restore it.

sparkster, Nov 15, 2015
  4. bluesfloyd

bluesfloyd

hi guys,
    thanks for the posts above, lots of help,

all the best, bluesfloyd.

bluesfloyd, Nov 17, 2015
  5. bluesfloyd

KimmyMarkks

Yes, I always just do the default settings. I think you should be good with those. You will be amazed how much using CC cleaner helps! It made my 7 year old laptop work so much faster.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 6, 2015
  6. bluesfloyd

thess

Maybe the windows event logs and user assist history.

thess, Dec 6, 2015
  7. bluesfloyd

GearZ

What you have checked now is fine. Note the last one (Wipe free space) can take a very long time and is unnecessary for most users. I too use CCleaner on all my boxes (Windows and Mac OS X) and find it a great tool. There sure is a lot junk that accumulates over time.

GearZ, Dec 8, 2015
  8. bluesfloyd

diligentworker

This handy, simple program is definitely a must-have. While the default settings are fine to use, it won't hurt if you checked the box next to Start Menu, Font Cache, and Windows Error Reporting. By including these three in your scan, you'll definitely free up more space on your hard drive, and this will result in a smoother-operating system.

diligentworker, Dec 12, 2015
  9. bluesfloyd

Sefie

Be careful not to mess around with Ccleaner if you are not an experienced user, you could end up deleting something important and damage the functionality of certain programs or even Windows functions.

Sefie, Dec 14, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  10. bluesfloyd

typist88

This is a great cleaner to use. Sometimes I play around with ticking the boxes to see what and how it changes the cleaning results and what more I can learn about my laptop. But yeah, the "wipe disk space" option can take a few hours and isn't necessary to do on a daily basis. It depends on how much time you want to spend waiting for the cleaner to run. I'd suggest experimenting with some of the options and make sure to use the registry cleaner as well :).

typist88, Dec 20, 2015
  11. bluesfloyd

IcyBC

My HP laptop was only two years old when it stopped working as I used CCleaner exclusively to keep it running smoothly. One thing I wanted to say is that don't mess around with the registry cleaner! I have read plenty of articles about CCleaner and they all suggested to leave this part alone unless you know what you are doing. You can do a search for yourself "can CCleaner harm my laptop/computer" or something of the sort and you will see.

IcyBC, Dec 21, 2015
    typist88 likes this.
  12. bluesfloyd

typist88

Oh that's a good article, thanks. "An over-zealous cleaning session" was described and that sounds like something I do from time to time! yikes. I'll keep that in mind now. I'm having problems using the battery and someone suggested it could be a missing component, possibly lost from the reg-cleaner. I'll have to look into that more now .Thanks :)

typist88, Dec 22, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  13. bluesfloyd

IcyBC

You are welcome! I have a suspicious feeling that my laptop went dead because I tampered with the registry cleaner. Everyone is braving about CCleaner and I thought it is safe to use ten thousand times, but apparently, there is side effect. Co-incidentally, my friend in Canada had the same problem as me, and now her laptop is gone too :(

IcyBC, Dec 22, 2015
    typist88 likes this.
  14. bluesfloyd

typist88

Lol ok I have officially been warned! I wonder how I could even look into that. It takes so much mental energy to really dig into the nitty-gritty computer issues sometimes. I've had to remove some really nasty bugs/virus' a couple times in the last few years and it's quite a task!

typist88, Dec 22, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  15. bluesfloyd

bluesfloyd

hi guys,
    big thanks for your posts above, lots of help,
    bluesfloyd,

bluesfloyd, Dec 22, 2015
  16. bluesfloyd

IcyBC

I don't mean to scare you, but just don't like not to share what happened to me and my laptop. I don't know too much about computer besides from the basic chores. That is one of the reasons why don't like the updates, since I know I will pull my hair out trying to figure it out!

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS!

IcyBC, Dec 24, 2015
  17. bluesfloyd

MsLucy

I mostly just click everything cache, memory, offline pages. Click everything that is unnecessary to keep on ur pc.

MsLucy, Apr 12, 2016
Ask a Question