CCleaner problem with Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Jonathan Jenkins, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Jonathan Jenkins

Jonathan Jenkins

Hi; I have a Dell N5050 runnning W10 Home, and have a problem getting CCleaner to run properly. It will run straight after installing a new version, but nothing happens when I try to run it from the Start Menu. If I try running the .exe program from Program Files, I get the message about Windows not finding it/incorrect permissions, etc. I get the same message even after using "Run as administrator."

Any thoughts?

thanks,

Jon.

Jonathan Jenkins, Apr 16, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. Jonathan Jenkins

something back

something back, Apr 16, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Jonathan Jenkins

Jonathan Jenkins

Hi; thanks for the reply. The program is not "pinned" to the Start Menu. It doesn't even show in the "Most used" list, but I guess that's because I have to run the installer every time before I can use the program. As I said, even trying to run CCleaner straight from the .exe file in the folder does not work.

If anyone has a suggestion for a replacement for CCleaner, then I'll take a look at it. It doesn't take long to install CCleaner each time, but it's annoying and I'd rather not have to do it every time I feel like cleaning the computer!

Jonathan Jenkins, Apr 25, 2016
  4. Jonathan Jenkins

something back

something back, Apr 25, 2016
  5. Jonathan Jenkins

sparkster

Something else you could try is going in to the programs folder, then into the Ccleaner folder (might be called Piriform), right click on the Ccleaner application file and create a shortcut on the desktop. Then move the shortcut to wherever you want it.

sparkster, Apr 25, 2016
  6. Jonathan Jenkins

obliviousme

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the program? That's the first thing i always do when i have trouble running some programs on my computer. Just a thought.

obliviousme, Apr 26, 2016
  7. Jonathan Jenkins

Jonathan Jenkins

Thanks for all the replies. I could not uninstall CCleaner at first. I had to reboot the system into Safe Mode in order for the uninstaller to work.

After that, I rebooted normally, and downloaded the latest version of CCleaner, and it seems to be working ok. It finally shows properly in the Start Menu as well.

Jonathan Jenkins, May 2, 2016
  8. Jonathan Jenkins

IBMPC8088

Uninstalling Windows 10 and reinstalling Windows 7 will usually do the trick. ;) I doubt the problem was with Ccleaner, but glad you were able to uninstall and reinstall it the second time around to use it. Did you have to install in compatability mode, or was there just an issue with the first installation unexpectedly?

IBMPC8088, May 2, 2016
  9. Jonathan Jenkins

nytegeek

Implying that the operating system was the issue in this case, even jokingly, is ignorant at best. The complete removal and reinstall was the best option at any rate.

nytegeek, May 2, 2016
  10. Jonathan Jenkins

IBMPC8088

Using Windows 10 (or windows at all at this point and Ccleaner) instead of better options is ignorant at best, and implying that it isn't is stupid at worst. The complete removal is the fastest way for many if they don't have time to deal with all the junk and idiocy introduced by Microsoft and supported by their users foolishly in a repetative and endless cycle of downgrading their computers into oblivion.

IBMPC8088, May 4, 2016
  11. Jonathan Jenkins

nytegeek

Your comment isn't helpful. They weren't trying to get rid of Ccleaner or install a different OS. They were trying to fix an installation issue. We all get that you don't like Windows so you can tone down the rhetoric a bit. If your response is going to constantly be "get rid of windows" instead of giving a real answer how are you helping?

As far as Ccleaner, I wish people wouldn't use it because it really does very little of anything useful and some parts of it like the registry functions are harmful, but the OP didn't ask for diatribe on Windows or Ccleaner, and even though I, much like you don't care for either I'm not going to spout off or make jokes when somebody needs help with one of them.

nytegeek, May 8, 2016
  12. Jonathan Jenkins

IBMPC8088

They don't have to get rid of Windows, but keeping it is going to be a liability to any serious computer user from here on out.

Between half to 3/4 of the problems people are having with Windows could be solved if they decided to go to a more stable platform, encapsulate their existing OS, and then continue unhindered by something that won't give them as many issues down the road. I get irritated seeing people placing themselves in that predicament over and over again.

They say that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different outcome every time. That's what I see Windows users doing with the software and the OS itself that they're forced to change to every time Microsoft tells them when they have to.

That being said, I've had to recover and redo the registry of more than a few systems where the user decided to use Ccleaner in advanced mode and it took out important settings and files they needed which should never have been removed. Normally, I recommend using something different like Auslogics, Puran, or another alternative to Ccleaner if they must Windows and have to keep their registry in decent shape.

Ccleaner can be used, but it's not always safe to use for the everyday users who will change a setting and let it run, only to have issues later. I was going to say that people shouldn't really mess with using it if they don't have to, but it not running is entirely a Windows 10 problem and not the software itself.

Another advantage people have is that corrupted registry repair would be a lot easier by reverting to a saved state or external machine from a few hours or few days ago when last saved, rather than having to go back and repair the only copy of it and hope it works on a bare metal machine. Except for gamers, I don't see too many reasons why users shouldn't adopt that type of model to protect themselves from Microsoft errors, and their future investments.

If Microsoft doesn't let Ccleaner run or they don't release a version of it that works around Windows 10 itself, a user can always fall back on Auslogics, Puran, Systweak, System Mechanic, PC Pitstop (paid ver only), or any of the other ones that will and do run on it without any issues to do the same and more than Ccleaner does.

IBMPC8088, May 8, 2016
  13. Jonathan Jenkins

Norjak71

Make sure you try a basic update on the software. I have windows 7 and it works fine, however every time I start it keeps prompting me to download the newest version. I never have because the one I have works just fine but a basic update might be the problem.

Norjak71, May 8, 2016
  14. Jonathan Jenkins

nytegeek

His problem was already corrected, and with Microsoft including privacy violating surprises in prior versions of Windows these days, I wouldn't just trust updates to fix things.

On Windows 7, 8 and 8,1 you still have the ability to select updates to a degree (many don't explain anything or have readily readable info anymore) and I suggest that people do it rather than just installing them all blindly.

Unless you were talking about updating CCleaner, which wouldn't have worked because it needed to be completely uninstalled. I assume he was working with a current version anyway.

The best thing to do operating system wise is to update to Windows 10 (not using express settings) and go through a list of privacy options changing what you don't like, or migrate to a new operating system. A lot of people aren't ready or willing to do this for a heap of reasons, so I try not to push it.

But, back to the topic, this was a simple case of an application not installing correctly on the first go for 1 of 1000 or more possible reasons. It is simpler and best in many cases to force a complete uninstall and clean re-install of the application than to try and track down a specific cause for the initial failure.

nytegeek, May 10, 2016
  15. Jonathan Jenkins

acheno84

I had a similar problem, and I had to delete the program off and reinstall. Once I reinstalled it and pinned it to my start menu and task bar, I haven't had that problem again. I only ran into the issue when I upgrade to Windows 10, and it took a bit for all of the programs to really "wake up". I just went into each application and spent a good 15 minutes in each program and they seem to be much more cooperative now that I've spent time in them. Similar to a relationship :p Good luck getting that fixed! It's always a pain when programs become stubborn and refuse to do what they're intended to.

acheno84, May 11, 2016
  16. Jonathan Jenkins

sparkster

Wow, I'm quite shocked by some of the comments here. If you don't like CCleaner or Windows 10 then fair enough but some of the comments here are just pure bias. In all my days of computing, which is getting on for 30 years now, CCleaner is the best and most useful application I have come across (I won't comment on Windows 10 as I've only been using it for a month). Sure, if misused you can mess up the registry which is why it's important to create a backup first which CCleaner lets you do. If you don't know what you're doing then stick to the basics and you should be fine.

sparkster, May 12, 2016
  17. Jonathan Jenkins

nytegeek

Ccleaner isn't necessarily bad, but it is over sold bt users as a miracle tool for speeding things up. The irritating part of that being that isn't what it is for and isn't what it does. As far as the registry functions, they shouldn't be used by anyone.

Anyhow, that isn't what this topic was about and doesn't really matter. I don't have to like a product to provide help. He needed help getting it to work and he got his solution, which was a removal and reinstall. It works for him now.

nytegeek, May 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  18. Jonathan Jenkins

IBMPC8088

@sparkster If anyone has been in computers for 30 years let alone 20, they already know what Windows 10 is and shouldn't take that long to figure it out or comment. Sometimes, the bias is well-placed and that bias comes from actively working with and knowing what they've done to the computer industry. You would also be doing registry work by hand most of the time if you've been in it 30 years and not using Ccleaner, which is mostly for newcomers, because you can change entries and configure things specifically for your system a lot better than a general algorithm or overhaul can (and you'd be used to dos and unix prompts more than the GUI anyway by default). But then again, that could be my bias too lol sigh. Well...I guess as long as the ends justifies the means, it's alright..

One thing I've run into at times is that the registry cleaning and compacting programs sometimes make changes that I didn't want them to, whether using it with the advanced mode or basic mode. When it does that and you have to change it back, there isn't always a way to protect all of the registry entries from those changes (depending on the program you use to do this). So I either use a script to where I know I don't have to worry about it anymore if it's on a vm sys, or just use the program for others when needed, but don't expect the enhancements or other changes to stay put if I do. If you modify the registry by hand, you'll run into this at times...and that is part of the reason why some programs and windows itself can crash after registry cleaning or compacting programs run but aren't careful. They can change what seems to be a harmless value, but end up locking the system into a fit of blue screen frenzy or dialog warnings from windows that it can't load or see what it used to. If you want to use Ccleaner, that's fine I guess...but you should be aware that that can happen still if you use it with some programs or on advanced. This used to happen with Dot Net 3.5 and CCleaner all the time, and also the free version of vb .NET on some systems. It varies, but just saying, if it happens, you'll know why and what caused it if you run something like Ccleaner and then at next reboot it has errors or issues.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088, May 14, 2016
  19. Jonathan Jenkins

acheno84

I had this problem as well recently with another program immediately after I ran into the problem with CCleaner. I thought it was just me. The tips on this forum have been very helpful though, and I was able to get the issue resolved. I generally open everything from my desktop anyway but I thought the program just wasn't working at all. Thanks for asking this question :) Helped me out too!

acheno84, May 22, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question