Cases for the Aspire one?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by kaymm2, Aug 25, 2008.

1. kaymm2

kaymm2

Thought I'd chime in here and give some suggestions for a case. Originally I used a 3-ring organizer with the 3ring, papers, etc, removed. It fit the Aspire very well. then I found a PS2 case which looked like it was made for it. For $7 too!

My old aspire one case:
    [​IMG]

My new aspire case:
    http://ehsia.com/c2-tech-3in1-travelling-kit-for-acer-aspire-one

[​IMG]

kaymm2, Aug 25, 2008
  2. kaymm2

jonnybravo

I'm trying to track down a leather binder type deal similar to the pdair. I'd get the pdair but, quite frankly, spending nearly 20% of what I paid for my One on a case is ridiculous. The binder that you originally used looks like it could be the ticket if not for the rings.

Anyone with any ideas?

jonnybravo, Aug 25, 2008
  3. kaymm2

kaymm2

Just remove the 3 rings. 3 ring binder-type organizers are cheap. I think I got mine for $15. The one pictured above isn't the exact one I have.

Some have the 3rings that can just slide out. I have a few CD holders but are too thick. Once you remove the sleeves they can fit a smallish notebook too.

A Wii case, a PS2 slim case, a portable DVD case? Any other small consoles that has cases that would fit the acer one?

kaymm2, Aug 25, 2008
  4. kaymm2

Syco54645

I have a pretty nice case that I got at circuit city. It is for a portable dvd player. I took my one in and test fitted it first. it works great.

Syco54645, Aug 25, 2008
  5. kaymm2

kaymm2

Pictures please ;)

kaymm2, Aug 25, 2008
  6. kaymm2

goofball

goofball, Aug 25, 2008
  7. kaymm2

mesly33

I purchased the Aspire One to "lighten" and generally downsize the load I am carrying around with me on a daily basis. I decided to go with a small messenger bag from Mobile Edge: http://www.mobileedge.com/items_him.asp ... d=1&pid=78

The One fits nicely in the padded computer compartment (it will hold up to a 14" laptop) with plenty of room for everything else. The nice thing is that it is small and only weighs 1.75 pounds (empty).

I know that doesn't qualify as a case, but it does make it convenient to carry around. I still slip it in the case that came with the One before putting it in the bag.

mesly33, Aug 25, 2008
  8. kaymm2

achiss

achiss, Aug 25, 2008
  9. kaymm2

Sirossis56

Sirossis56, Aug 25, 2008
  10. kaymm2

kaymm2

$38 is a bit much I think. That's why I'm always on the look out for cheap solutions ;) I paid only $7 for mine and it is perfect.

kaymm2, Aug 25, 2008
  11. kaymm2

wyzik

wyzik, Aug 25, 2008
  12. kaymm2

Maso

Maso, Aug 25, 2008
  13. kaymm2

goofball

goofball, Aug 25, 2008
  14. kaymm2

Belgain_Roffles

I just got a One as an early birthday present, and my father had a portable DVD carrying case that it fits in perfectly, even with the power brick.

Brand is Case Logic and I have no idea how much it cost originally.

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3

Belgain_Roffles, Aug 26, 2008
  15. kaymm2

blackjack

The leather case looks like it might be good for air travel here in U.S. I'm hoping to take my AO on business conference trips (a couple times a year) and my main concern is handling the TSA security gauntlet smoothly (i.e., being able to put the laptop on the conveyor, in a way that it's clearly visible to them, which is what they seem to require if I read right - I have zero experience with laptops in air travel so forgive me if I'm totally off base :p ).

Here's the Circuit City portable DVD player-cases lineup page:
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Cases-ba ... orylist.do

I'd like something with shoulder straps (many of the smaller cases have none). I'm not sure this one (below) comes with one (it has mounting straps for car-use), but I guess you could attach your own shoulder strap to the two rings.
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Verge-Po ... tDetail.do

I've already bought a $50 cordless laptop mouse and a $30 tilt stand, and am eyeing $99 UBS DVD/CD burners, so I guess I'm past worrying about case costs. :D

blackjack, Aug 27, 2008
  16. kaymm2

blackjack

I've been reading a bit about these new "Checkpoint Friendly" bags.

Checkpoint-Friendly Laptop Bags (PC World article)
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/149727/c ... _bags.html

Most of them seem awfully expensive ($100 expensive), but I noticed Skooba Design had a "Skin Micro" for "subcompact laptops" up to 12.5". It's apparently not selling well so they're discontinuing the model (or perhaps they're doing a new one), and it sells for about $25. Here's the black one:
    http://www.skoobadesign.com/product/sko ... n-micro-5/

It's very basic (no extra pockets), and is designed to go through the airport checkpoint scanners without needing to be removed from the case (no obstructions for the scanning equipment). In theory anyway.

blackjack, Aug 27, 2008
  17. kaymm2

crowman

I went for the PDair case after doing some searching around and I must admit it looks and feels absolutely brilliant. Although a bit more expensive (mine was UK £22) it just makes such a difference to the machine and is designed to fit. Even has cooling holes for the fans ... highly recommended ... and it smells lush too ;)

crowman, Aug 27, 2008
  18. kaymm2

millerm277

It's really not a big deal. You take the laptop out of the bag, put it in it's own bin, and send it through the conveyor. Occasionally, they make you prove that it works. (Turn it on), that's happened on 1 out of 10 flights I've taken since 2001. Then you pick it up at the end, put it back in the bag, and continue on your way.

millerm277, Aug 28, 2008
  19. kaymm2

Des

It fits, but only just and is very tight. A much better case (and better fit, but still very snug) is http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14371 this is made from memory foam and gives much more protection.

My dealextreme order arrived today (with the above 2 cases) also some other interesting Aspire items such as http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2695

Regards

Des

Des, Aug 28, 2008
  20. kaymm2

Belgain_Roffles

The "checkpoint friendly" idea is not so much a specific line of products, but just a general bag format that provides the screening people the same image whether it is in a bag or not. Essentially it boils down to one vertical "layer" of electronics maximum. Larger "checkpoint friendly" bags can carry more stuff because they accordion out into multiple surfaces.

See standards here

Belgain_Roffles, Aug 28, 2008
Ask a Question