card reader functions but won't detect any cards

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by unp0ssible, Jul 9, 2010.

1. unp0ssible

unp0ssible

alright so i just did a fresh install of windows xp pro sp3 on my 8.9' aoa150 zg5 model and installed all the drivers from the site without a hitch. i tried stick in a microSDHC card and it said found new hardware and then detected all the controller cards and finally said it was ready to use but it wouldn't bring up the actual drive. i then tried a regular SDHC card and nothing. one thing i did notice is that the cards were very warm when i put it in there but i think its because my system is running warm in general? after a couple of minutes i heard that plugNplay noise whenever you stick a usb/card in but my card had long been ejected

driver was Jmicron JMB38X taken straight from acer support website

what could possibly be wrong? i opened up the netbook earlier to replace the hard drive but honestly i'm not sure if it worked before that but i think it did.

unp0ssible, Jul 9, 2010
  2. unp0ssible

Swarvey Moderator

Don't quote me on this, but I'm not sure the card reader supports SDHC cards. Have you tried a normal SD Card?

Swarvey, Jul 9, 2010
  3. unp0ssible

unp0ssible

no, it can read sdhc cards according to the product information on every site i could find. i think the problem is heat related somehow...

unp0ssible, Jul 9, 2010
  4. unp0ssible

Swarvey Moderator

Not according to this, the quickstart guide for the AOA150 makes no mention of SDHC.
    I still suggest trying a non HC card to see what you get. Also if the cards are getting really hot (they shouldn't there not near any real heat source inside the machine) I'd be testing them in a device that you know for sure handles SDHC just to make sure you haven't cooked them.

Swarvey, Jul 9, 2010
  5. unp0ssible

unp0ssible

lol i'm a moron, you were right. i never realized the netbook had two card readers. i never thought SD would need its own slot o_o

unp0ssible, Jul 10, 2010
Ask a Question