can't send email

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ethcor, Dec 3, 2008.

1. ethcor

ethcor

Hi,
    My Aspire One email program retrieves my earthlink incoming email okay, but it recently stopped being able to send. It constantly comes up with error message "Unable to send due to network instability." Yet there is no network instability when using any platform other than my Aspire One (Linux OS). Anybody able to help me with this?
    Thanks
    Ethcor

ethcor, Dec 3, 2008
  2. ethcor

ronime

Do you use an smtp server to send mail and is your mail client on the AAO configured to use port 25 for smtp?

Many ISPs block outgoing traffic on port 25 now to prevent open relay abuse. As a consequence many smtp servers now expect a secure (SSL) connection with authentication on an alternative port such as 465 or 587.

Do Earthlink have any support documentation to help you configure your mail client on the AAO?

UPDATE: It would seem that Earthlink have blocked port 25 and now expect port 587 instead.

ronime, Dec 3, 2008
  3. ethcor

ethcor

That WORKED! Thanks!!!!

ethcor, Dec 4, 2008
  4. ethcor

ronime

You are most welcome. Enjoy!

ronime, Dec 4, 2008
Ask a Question