Can't Restore to Linux & Caps Lock Flashes

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by walder, Nov 17, 2008.

1. walder

walder

Hi All,
    I put XP onto my Aspire One and soon realised that there was an issue with the 8GB solid state & XP (slow response due to write times of SSD.)

So today I decided to restore back to Linux with the original recovery disks. I did everything as instructed but a few seconds in when the progress bar comes up, the external DVD stops, and the progress bar fails to move on, the CAPS lock then begins to blink and there is no progress.

I've tried it a few times and the same thing happens, it stops progress then the CAPS lock blinks.

Hope someone can help me with this!

walder, Nov 17, 2008
  2. walder

walder

I have tried another recovery disk and this does the same thing.

I've put the windows CD in the external drive and there is no problem with this, which rules out any issues with the external CD/DVD.

I can only think that when I've installed windows xp, I've reformatted to NTFS, then when I try to put Linux Liptus back on (with the recovery disk) there are issues with the partitions. What are the chances?

Is it possible to reformat the SSD upon bootup perhaps booting from a USB drive? Or should I consider taking it back to the shop and declaring it faulty and trying to get a replacement?

Thanks

walder, Nov 20, 2008
  3. walder

Geebsie

I am having exactly the same problem.

The difficulty for me is that the Linux which shipped with the machine was V.1.0.21. The recovery CD froze when I was trying to install to a USB key.

I therefore had to install V1.0.9 (which came from a 120GB version of the AA1) which at least allowed me to install to the USB key, but like you guys when I introduce this to the 8GB SSD machine I get the flashing caps lock.

Anyone get to the bottom of this?

Geebsie, May 3, 2009
Ask a Question