can't resolve some depenecies??????????

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Fuerst, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Fuerst

Fuerst

Hi,
    I am a total linux-beginner. trying learning by doing, I have tried to install some linuxversions of programmes I used on my winfows XP-Pc. however, in some cases I got the warning "can't resolve some dependencies" or so... and then installation stops.

can I do anything about it? and what?

one of the programmes was audacity. I downloaded the version for fedora core 6 which seems to be the lates version

any advice?

Fuerst, Sep 24, 2008
  2. Fuerst

kevin

If possible, use the package manager or `yum' at the prompt:

sudo yum install [packagename]

Both methods will attempt to collect and install missing dependencies. Downloading RPMs manually and installing them will quite often work, but if you're not careful, and you do this with bits from different repositories or distributions, it's not difficult to end up in a situation where dependencies _can't_ be resolved without a lot of painful back-tracking (or finger-crossing).

If you have to download RPMs explicitly, and you end up with missing bits, you might be able to track them down by going to rpmfind.net and searching for the names of the missing bits.

kevin, Sep 24, 2008
  3. Fuerst

Fuerst

thxs,
    I shall try

Fuerst, Sep 24, 2008
Ask a Question