Cant open files made in open office on any pc in any format

Discussion in 'Linux' started by samipoyo, Oct 28, 2008.

1. samipoyo

samipoyo

I cant seem to open any files made in open office, wether i save them as .doc or .odt they either open as a blank screen (.doc) or as me for encryption details (.dot) and whichever i try it never works, any help would be great as i really dont want to be retyping stuff

samipoyo, Oct 28, 2008
  2. samipoyo

daldred

That's weird. I've been using OOo on Linux for years, and never had much trouble with saving as .doc and opening in Word elsewhere. (Occasionally the font differences mess up the formatting, but that's about all).

What version of Word are you using? And have you got the Microsoft tools for importing ODT files?

daldred, Oct 28, 2008
  3. samipoyo

JimK

You'll probably need to ask your question at an Open Office help forum. Open Office on the One works exactly like it does anywhere else and it works very well for most purposes. If you save your documents as .doc, they *should* be readable in most versions of MS Word (and other apps that can read Word files). The ODT format is an open standard that is supported by Open Office, Abiword and a few other apps, but I don't think MS Word is among them. Having said that, I understand there are instances where Open Office files don't always convert to .doc format (maybe things like macros, text frames?), which is why I suggest finding some more knowledgeable OO experts. If all else fails, you can save them as plain .txt, but you'll lose all your formatting (but at least you won't have to retype everything).

JimK, Oct 28, 2008
Ask a Question