Can't log on to aMsn in Linpus Linux Lite.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Jungell, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Jungell

Jungell

Hi forum!

Ok, so I couldn't find an answer to the problem that I had with the IM application that comes with Linpus Linux Lite on the Aspire One 110 model. The problem was that the application kept on shutting down and starting up again, randomly. But only when the wireless network was activated.

The problem now is that it's impossible to log in, using aMsn. It starting to connect and then it just keeps on loading. The application does not freeze or anything like that, it just can't log in. And there's no error message either. So I'm guessing the problem is a bit more complicated that I hope for.
    When starting up aMsn, we are confronted with a dialoguebox that tells us that an update is available. But it doesn't seem to be any way to update the application. I tried to run "yum update amsn" in the terminal, but it says that there is no available updates and the latest version we can find is the one installed; 0.97.8 (or something similar), and the mysterious update is 0.98.1. And also, if "yum install amsn" is run in the terminal, the software version we get is the one that we've already got, not the latest update.

We also tried to install Pidgin, which is an application that I'm familiar with from my Ubuntu days. But it can't be installed due to some library issues, if we change the library "libpurple" to the version that Pidgin needs, we compromise some other, much needed applications.

So now I turn to you, forum. What do you think is the problem with aMsn, here? And if you think you know what the problem is, how should I go about fixit it?

Thank you, forum!
    J

Jungell, Nov 25, 2009
  2. Jungell

ChrisH

In the connections setting, switch the connection to HTTP I think, this is what I had to do for the kids machines. If this doesnt work . make sense, shout and I will peel their fingers from it and see what I did.

c

ChrisH, Nov 29, 2009
  3. Jungell

ChrisH

opps forgot to tick the notify button....

ChrisH, Nov 29, 2009
  4. Jungell

Jungell

Thank you!

I will try that, I'll let you know how it goes!

Jungell, Dec 3, 2009
  5. Jungell

Jungell

Ok, so we tried it!

Sadly it didn't work. When the login button is pressed, it freezes.
    Does Linpus dislike IM applications in general or do we just have really bad luck?

Jungell, Dec 4, 2009
Ask a Question