Can't install Ubuntu via USB-Stick

Discussion in 'Linux' started by c0da, Aug 14, 2009.

1. c0da

c0da

Hey

I tried it with easypeasy and with 9.04. Used unetbootin-windows-357.exe in order to copy the iso to the Stick. Worked fine, checked the MD5 Sum as well.

After Reboot I see the Boot Screen with F2 + F12 on to Buttom and thats it. I can't do anything anymore, the Netbook freezes and I have to remove my Battery for a new Boot.

Don't know what else I could do. Has anyone a solution for my Problem?

c0da, Aug 14, 2009
  2. c0da

bodhi.zazen

I have not seen that problem.

I suggest you try again , but first wipe (delete all the files) your usb drive. Unetbootin does not clean up after itself very well so when you install one distro on top of another you can get some interesting results.

If you have data on the USB, back it up, then simply re-format the USB.

My only other thought would be to ask what file system is on the USB ? The unetbootin claims it has to be FAT.

bodhi.zazen, Aug 17, 2009
  3. c0da

c0da

Thanks for the Replay.

I did format my usb stick as FAT before I executed the unetbootin file.

I think I will buy a new usb Stick or try to install the distri via wubi.

c0da, Aug 19, 2009
  4. c0da

kidoruigenso

My situation is different.

I have a AO751 with 11.6" display and the 160Gb IDE classic spinning hard drive with Windows XPsp3. I want to dual boot.

Used a 2Gb memory stick, formated as FAT16. Ran unetbootin with a iso file of Ubuntu 8.04.3 downloaded just last week and checked against the expected MD5SUM.

F12 works fine, the USB stick boots.

I can run off the stick as a LiveCD, but the internal hard drive is not detected (not on the desktop as an icon, not in System Monitor and not with fdisk -l). A second memory stick is found, at least when it is in position before the boot up.

Trying to run install (both from the LiveCD session and from the original starting menu upon boot) works until you get to partitioning the hard disk. The hard drive is not in the available selections, even when using the manual feature. You see only the original 2Gb memory stick.

Changing the BIOS options to enable/disable all but the F12 boot option changes nothing.
    (Except when Quiet Boot and Network Boot are disabled I get:
    PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
    Operating System not found
    and
    (except when Quiet Boot is disabled and Network Boot is enabled I simply get:
    Operating System not found
    but this might be for another post.)

The USB stick runs fine on a second system, a HP Desktop, and finds the internal hard drive in this case with no problem.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. I plan to try Ubuntu 8.10 and/or 9.04, but I have 8.04 on two other machines and I am a little worried about getting a kernel >2.6.24.23 where there seem to be some Aspire timing issues and boot problems.

kidoruigenso, Sep 27, 2009
  5. c0da

bodhi.zazen

With that machine I would advise you go with Ubuntu 9.04 as this will give you the least problems.

At the top of these forums is a sticky with how I installed 9.04 on the same hardware and links to additional resources.

bodhi.zazen, Sep 28, 2009
  6. c0da

kidoruigenso

Thanks for the very prompt reply, I will try Ubuntu 9.04 and let you know.

kidoruigenso, Sep 29, 2009
  7. c0da

kidoruigenso

Just a follow up to report that Ubuntu 9.04 (otherwise using the process described in my earlier Sept 27 post) installed with no problems.

The best part for me was that the wireless worked right from the start (I was at the public library) and I did the ~150Mb of updates in <15 minutes. At home it is a dial up connection with a USB modem (getting this to work is always the biggest challenge for me of a Linux install, but a battle I get better at each time).

Thanks again bodhi.zazen for the guidance.

kidoruigenso, Sep 30, 2009
Ask a Question