Can't get right SD card reader to work in 8.04 & 8.10

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Kjeks, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Kjeks

Kjeks

I have problems getting my right SD card reader to work. I have used 8.04 for a while, and the right SD card reader have not been working even after I applied all the tweaks on Ubuntu.com's Aspire One page. Today I upgraded to 8.10, hoping the problem would be fixed, but it wasn't.

I need the SD card reader to work, as I work as a journalist and sometimes need to edit photos on my AAO.
    The left card reader works, as I have mounted my /home/ directory on a 2 GB SD card for better performance.

lspci:
    [...]
    01:00.0 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. SD/MMC Host Controller
    04:00.0 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. SD/MMC Host Controller
    04:00.2 SD Host controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Standard SD Host Controller
    [...]

/etc/fstab:
    [...]
    # /dev/mmcblk0
    UUID=2689a8f2-7015-42c6-a3bc-ade6bde509a6 /home ext3 noatime 0 2
    [...]

...and all the tweaks added from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

The funny thing is that the SD card reader once worked perfectly, with me being able to insert/eject cards on-the-fly in 8.04 a while ago (this was before X number of reinstallations). Now, it seams completely dead.
    The right SD card isn't detected even if I leave it in while booting.

Edit1: I have the AAO with 8 GB SSD and 1,5 GB RAM. Everything but the card reader works perfectly.
    Edit2: It also appears there's now lots of artifacts/flickering in YouTube videos. This is new after the upgrade.

Kjeks, Oct 30, 2008
  2. Kjeks

Kjeks

Just chiming in to say I fixed the problem.

I added this line to /etc/fstab, and now the card reader works perfectly:
    /dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/sd vfat users 0 0

:D

Kjeks, Oct 30, 2008
  3. Kjeks

ags

I now have both card readers working perfectly in 8.10.

I mostly followed the instructions on the Debian Aspire One Wiki. I can insert SD cards at any time, in any sequence, and hal will see the card, put an icon on my desktop (Xubuntu) and open a file manager. I tried an old MemoryStick in the righthand reader, but the kernel didn't seem to recognise this.

Here is what I did:

Created a file /etc/modprobe.d/aspireone with the following contents:
    Code:
    options pciehp pciehp_force=1
    install sdhci for i in 2381 2382 2383 2384; do /usr/bin/setpci -d 197b:$i AE=47; done; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install sdhci

Note there are only two lines in this file. On the original web page, the line wrap made it look like three lines - and I don't think that will work.

Added the following line to /etc/modules:
    Code:
    pciehp

Nothing else! Nothing changed in fstab - we let hal do this automagically....

Rebooted, and it just worked.

Can others please confirm before updating the wiki.

ags, Nov 9, 2008
  4. Kjeks

HCeline

Working for me, too. Well done.

HCeline, Nov 9, 2008
  5. Kjeks

rik_tripp

Also working here

Thanks for taking the time to post the solution.

Any thoughts about getting the left SD slot hot swappable?

atb

RiK

rik_tripp, Nov 9, 2008
  6. Kjeks

ags

Umm... yes, for me the left (and right) drives are hot swappable with the fix I've described.

ags, Nov 10, 2008
  7. Kjeks

john_g

This worked beautifully for me too on a model 150 running Intrepid :D

Very simple solution.

john_g, Nov 10, 2008
  8. Kjeks

rik_tripp

Running some tests I find that on my AA1 both left and right are hot swappable - Once.

If I unmount and remove the card, any new card inserted into either left or right slots are not detected until I reboot AA1.

Please could some run some tests to verify that swapping cards within a session is supported

Thanks in advance

RiK

rik_tripp, Nov 10, 2008
  9. Kjeks

ags

Interesting comment. I've done some more testing and have found a problem too.

If the first insertion is into the left card reader, then both card readers are hot swappable and continue to be so. However, if the first insertion is into the right card reader, then this mysteriously locks out the left card reader. The right card reader remains hot swappable.

I then tried running the Acer script 'jmb38x_d3e.sh' on boot up, and both card readers are hot swappable regardless of first insertion.

While playing around with 'jmb38x_d3e.sh' my machine locked up solid a couple of times while removing cards. I had reduced the polling time from 5 minutes to 1 second to speed up the process for testing, so perhaps this wasn't a good idea. :geek:

ags, Nov 11, 2008
  10. Kjeks

rik_tripp

I was beginning to think that there was some kind of timer involved, after my earlier post that they were only hot swappable once, I went off to do something else, came back to my AA1 and pushed the SD card back in to the right slot where it was correctly detected without the need for a reboot.

Anybody know what the time delay is between hot swapping ?

RiK

rik_tripp, Nov 11, 2008
  11. Kjeks

spinnekopje

Thanks a lot, for me they work just fine. Now I have everything I need working...
    I tried the left reader first and after that the right one, both together worked too.

I did a clean intrepid install, no modification to the sound (just adjusting volume), compiled latest ath_pci (from November) and added ume next to this adjustment.

spinnekopje, Nov 14, 2008
Ask a Question