Cant get contacts to work on Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Linux' started by derek, Jun 18, 2009.

1. derek

derek

Has anyone got the same problem. I switched from the default email program to Thunderbird, however i am now disappointed that on the acer the contacts/address book function doesnt work.
    If I rght click on the sender of a message to set up the name in the contacts book.
    Or if i go straight into the address book to set up a new contact.
    Page opens to enter all the data etc but there is no SAVE or OK button to click.
    So how do you fill the contacts book????

derek, Jun 18, 2009
  2. derek

frnk_penny

My wife has the same problem on the Acer Aspire One - the "Edit Card" pane in the Address Book is too large to be fully displayed on the AAO screen, and there is no scroll bar in the pane.

I checked the Thunderbird support forum, and the only comments relate to changing screen resolution to 1024x768 (the AAO resolution is 1024x600). I have not found a way to alter the resolution. I have looked at the Xfce Settings manager for Display Preferences and there is no way I can see to change the resolution.

The real solution would be for the Thunderbird developers to add a scroll bar to the Edit Card pane - I will try to alert them to the problem.

Unfortunately this problem will mean that my wife will drop Thunderbird for Aspire Mail.

frnk_penny, Jun 19, 2009
  3. derek

frnk_penny

Additional info-

After searching the Thunderbird bug reports it seems this is a known problem since 2000!!! See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=63941

It has been kicked around with no real priority until the advent of the small screen Netbooks like the Acer Aspire One - now there has been action, though I think the developers are going about things the wrong way. They are moving fields around to fit them on a small screen rather than the obvious, which to me is to make the Edit Card pane scrollable!

Anyway there is no chance of the fault being fixed in version 2 Thunderbird, though it is shown as "Resolved" for version 3 - I do not know when this release is planned.

frnk_penny, Jun 19, 2009
  4. derek

barrie

Hi,

If you fill in a new contacts card once done just hit the entre key and it saves, well mine works fine this way. ;) As said the window is to large and there are no available save buttons. :(

barrie, Jun 19, 2009
  5. derek

TheTilde

[Edit: the following tip is for Linux]

In case it will be useful:
    you can drag a window around by pressing the ALT button on the keyboard, while clicking on the right mouse button and moving the mouse. It can be done the same with the touchpad, but it's a little bit more difficult to do.
    This way you can access parts of a window that are off-screen.

Hope it helped a bit.
    TheTilde

TheTilde, Jun 19, 2009
  6. derek

derek

Thanks to all replies. Both solutions do work, For me where I just wanted to save my regular email friends details only rather than phone nos the ENTER action is fine. Just tried a test version and it worked. Thanks again, I was starting to get disappointed again with the acer, thinking the reg email version doesnt have the click link in email to open internet browser function so i switched to ThunderB, then this didnt seem to do the basics. Forums are a great resource.

derek, Jun 20, 2009
  7. derek

barrie

Hi Derek,

Pleased this is OK for you, and yes the forum is a great place to solve issues and find out information. :)

barrie, Jun 23, 2009
Ask a Question