Can't get AA1 with linux to connect with O2 dongle

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DanC, Dec 22, 2008.

1. DanC

DanC

Here's the problem:
    I have an Acer Aspire One with Linux lite and got a PAYG O2 dongle (Huawei E160) to connect to mobile broadband. I downloaded and installed Mobile Partner and plugged in the dongle. Something worked because it's receiving text messages. Then I set up a profile and clicked on connect and it says "connecting..." for a few seconds then just "error". No other information. My settings are:
    APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
    Access number: *99#
    Username: o2web
    Password: password
    Authentication protocol settings: PAP

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

DanC, Dec 22, 2008
  2. DanC

landbase

Make sure the APN is set at Static and try CHAP instead of PAP

landbase, Dec 24, 2008
  3. DanC

BobSlader

It would be good to know if you sorted this out because I have exactly the same problem with a Vodafone PAYG modem it’s also a Huawei E160. I opened Mobile Partner and plugged in the modem. The modem is recognised, the network is displayed (Voda) and the signal strength shown. When I go to connections I can see a 3G network with the status OFF. I set up a profile made it the default and clicked on connect and get the same useful message - error.
    My Vodafone settings ...
    APN: pp.vodafone.co.uk
    Access number: *99#
    Username: web
    Password: web
    I’m using Static and CHAP
    If I plug my modem into my Vista PC it connects instantly so there’s no fault with network. Any ideas?

BobSlader, Jan 14, 2009
  4. DanC

superpp

I set up an o2 payg dongle yesterday (on Mandriva) with no problems.
    The settings used are slightly different, try these:

prepay APN: m-bb.o2.co.uk
    phone number is *99# OR *99***1#
    username is o2bb
    password is password

go to mobilebroadbandaccess.o2.co.uk once connected as this is the only page you can navigate to with no credit.

superpp, Mar 26, 2009
  5. DanC

MrKev

Me too. I can get it to work under XP, but not using MobilePartner in Linpus.

I have

prepay APN: m-bb.o2.co.uk
    phone number is *99# OR *99***1#
    username is o2bb
    password is password

and authentication PAP under XP.

Kev

MrKev, Mar 26, 2009
  6. DanC

superpp

install Mandriva :lol:

you won't regret it

superpp, Mar 26, 2009
  7. DanC

MrKev

Thanks for that helpful and insightful post. For the rest of you that appreciate a technical challenge, how about working out how to get the thing going under Linpus?

Kev

MrKev, Mar 27, 2009
  8. DanC

superpp

thats why there was a smiley

can't help with linpus sorry.
    seriously though mandriva is a great distro for the AA1

superpp, Mar 27, 2009
  9. DanC

kevinrs

Hi,
    To confirm. These setting work with my Aspire one running Linux mint 7 rc1.

Thanks for posting these settings.

kevinrs, May 13, 2009
  10. DanC

CragFace

Hi, I bought an O2 mobile broadband dongle (E160) cheap from PC World @ under £15. I thought I would have loads of problems getting it to work on my AAO with Linux, as I read that you have to disable the sd micro card and install a load of stuff (see macles et al :- http://macles.blogspot.com/search?updat ... -results=7 ) Anyway I put the sim card into the dongle and plugged it into my PC (windows xp) to see if it gave me any information? It loaded up the software glowed green, and then refused to get me online. So I rang up O2 and a very helpful person went through it all with me and we agreed I had everything (drivers etc) installed correctly! He then asked for my post code and lo-and-behold, I am on the cusp with a low signal!!!
    So I put the following information into the updated Mobile Partner on the Acer. (click on Connection - Tools - Options, and highlight Profile management: Start a new Profile...Profile Name (anything - I put "O2 mobile" ) ; APN - Static = "m-bb.o2.co.uk"; Access Number =" *99#" ; Username = "o2bb"; and password = "password". (omit the " " ) then save that and then OK it,
    Plug your o2 dongle into any usb on the AAO and on the Mobile Partner window where the profile name you have just set up says "O2 mobile", click on connect, and wait. Mine went straight in and I got a green glowing dot, but because I had a low signal strength, I could not get access to net. Later I tried again and it stalled after about 8 seconds, my assumption is it had gone looking for the device as a memory stick???

Anyway I took it for a drive into an area where I knew it would work, clicked on the Mobile Partner and then the connect button, and I got a blue steady glow, and on bringing up the browser it went to the following site where I could buy time online.
    https://mobilebroadbandaccess.o2.co.uk
    Have tried it a few times and it seems to alternate, one, it connects; and next time it hangs; I think it alternates between being a usb modem and then a usb memory stick??? But it does function.

Hope this helps.

CragFace, Jul 7, 2009
Ask a Question