Cant get 1280*1024 at my external display

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by abou-, Oct 20, 2008.

1. abou-

abou-

Hey there. I'm running the standard linux linpus lite Acer version software with an A110-L Aspire One and I'm trying to connect my external display: Philips 180B2 LCD screen, but I can't get the output at 1280*1024, only 1024*768pixels. Is it a lack of drivers for the samsung screen or is it really the max output my Acer is able to provide?

Thanks in advance!

abou-, Oct 20, 2008
  2. abou-

Jon

Can't tell you how to fix it in Linux; I've got the XP version, but it will drive a 1280x1024 display. In XP I had to configure the external monitor port to recognize 1280x1024; my monitor didn't like getting the 1024x600 feed the computer wanted to send out by default.

Jon, Oct 21, 2008
  3. abou-

quikkie

quikkie, Oct 21, 2008
  4. abou-

penandpaper

Hi Jon:

So how do I configure the external monitor port to drive 1280 x 1024 ? Can you explain?

Thanks.

penandpaper, Nov 3, 2008
  5. abou-

abou-

I'll quote the link quikkie provided. It works for me :)

abou-, Nov 3, 2008
  6. abou-

HanDerre

Well, that command killed my AAO rendering me unable to boot as well as using USB-recovery. I have spent the last 3 hours trying to solve this and my last resort is to try install Kubunto 8.10 using the description here. To be honest, I'm starting to wonder if my venture into unknown territory (read: Linux) was the biggest mistake I ever done this side of summer!
    :evil:

EDIT:
    From the updated signature you'll see I'm back to windoze and my AAO have never performed better!
    :)

HanDerre

HanDerre, Nov 7, 2008
  7. abou-

Patric

This is my nightmare with the linux/linpus experiment I am doing. I have the same need to change screen resolution to match a cheap projector at work, and I thought this was the advice I needed. Looked good. Until the next post.

Frankly, there was a time when messing with the hardware was one of life's pleasures, and chewing over what might work with friendly fellow travellers. Now I would just like to get the right answers and get the job done. Is there a manufacturer's FAQ that has the real and reliable instructions on how to get it done [change output resolution]in in linpus on this machine without waiting around. It doesn't seem like a hard question. The Windows version of the AAOne is looking better. That is not meant to annoy. But life shouldn't be this hard in a 'superior' system. Remember beta was better than VHS but it didn't get the job done.
    Why can't this be included in one of the periodic automatic updates from acer?

I am still hopeful. And unsatisfied. And that is annoying to hear from a newbie, I know. Here's hoping.

How do I change the output resolution without having to buy another machine or system? Please?

Patric

Patric, Nov 8, 2008
  8. abou-

Patric

I have the problem resolved, and my attitude adjusted for the better. Sorry for whinging. Turns out that to change the display resolution on a n external monitor [read projector] one must have the projector plugged into the AAOne at that moment, and select from 'Display Settings' on the desktop the option 'display only on external monitor'. Then just select the desired resolution. <sigh> Problem solved. Now on to the next one. Thanks for your help and patience.
    Patric

Patric, Nov 9, 2008
Ask a Question