Can't find my network manager

Discussion in 'Linux' started by stiano, Sep 4, 2008.

1. stiano

stiano

I'm relatively new to ubuntu (and linux) so when I play around with configurations and setups, like I'm used to from windows, many weird things happen ;) But one day as I was dragging my panels around, I realized that the network manager that had been so helpful had disappeared from the top panel. I freaked out, and since then, I haven't been able to connect to the internet.

I have activated roaming mode, as I found this was the only way I could connect to a network, however to use that with encrypted network I really need my network manager. I've searched through the panel applets, but cannot find it anywhere. I tried to add something called network moniter as well, but it doesn't seem to be the same thing.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

stiano, Sep 4, 2008
  2. stiano

Thomas8675309

The "network manager" that appears on the top panel is a program called "nm-applet." You can start it manually by entering into a terminal window:

Code:
         nm-applet --sm-disable
    This starts it on the top panel. I bet if you search for nm-applet in the ubuntu forums, you can figure out how to re-add to the top panel permanently, so you don't have to start it manually each time.

Also, you may find this post on the Ubuntu forums helpful.

Cheers.

Thomas8675309, Sep 5, 2008
Ask a Question