Can't delete files

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mrpostman, Nov 6, 2009.

1. mrpostman

mrpostman

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of guidance regarding my AA1.

I am having loads of problems deleting files from a mounted memory card drive. It's an SD card (write protection off - on the side of the card its self)

When I browse to the mounted removable disk, all the folders and files have a small yellow face with a yellow hand on. I try to right click to delete, but the delete option in the menu is faded out, and when I left click the file and press the DEL button, nothing happens.

I tried right clicking and changing the file permissions but it says I can not do it as its a read only file system.

I tried logging on as root using "su -" and typing my password (via terminal) thinking I'd be able to change it then, but had no luck.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

mrpostman, Nov 6, 2009
  2. mrpostman

RockDoctor

Is this an SD card in the left slot that Linpus is using as an extension of the SSD? If so, then perhaps (I don't use such a system, so I'm not sure this will work) what you need to do is browse to these files/folders not on the SD card but in their apparent location within the main filesystem structure and delete them there. For example, if file foo.bar is stored somewhere on the SD card but appears to be located in /home/user/foo.bar because of the way Linpus uses the SD card, then one would delete the file /home/user/foo.bar.

If you're comfortable using Linux, another technique would be to boot your favorite Linux disto from a live USB stick, mount the SD card, and delete away.

HTH

RockDoctor, Nov 6, 2009
  3. mrpostman

Darryl

try this in terminal..
    Code:
    sudo thunar
    opens the file system as root, delete what ya like........be careful ;)

Darryl, Nov 7, 2009
  4. mrpostman

mrpostman

Thank you for both replies, I really appreciate any help with this.

I tried browsing to this directory, but there was no foo.bar in this dir....

I am absolutely rubbish with linux so I dont really fancy booting from another linux distro....

Darryl, I logged in to root using sudo thunar, the files still wouldn't delete and I still couldnt change the permissions. However, when I closed that "logged in as root" window , I tried to browse to my SD card again and the little face with the hand had gone, but I still couldn't delete.

mrpostman, Nov 7, 2009
  5. mrpostman

RockDoctor

Slight misunderstanding here. Referring to /home/user/foo.bar, replace user with the name of an actual folder in /home, and replace foo.bar with the name of an actual file.

RockDoctor, Nov 7, 2009
Ask a Question