Can't cut and paste into terminal

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Hostile17, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Hostile17

Hostile17

OK, thanks to a nice man below and macles, I'm nervously going to try and install Opera Browser on my linpus lite AA1 alongside my now very creaky Firefox 2 - this looks like the simplest installation for someone not well versed in linux.

However, even using Control C then shift/ctrl/V I can't paste the commands into the terminal window I've opened up. I end up with a a sort of circumflex accent then a V!

I'm sure I remember something similar, where I couldn't paste from an open office document into a hotmail window.

Any thoughts? Do I need to do something to unlock something?

Cheers!

H17

Hostile17, Mar 8, 2010
  2. Hostile17

melhiore

You may try Edit Menu on top of terminal window...

melhiore, Mar 8, 2010
  3. Hostile17

kmc

Linux cut and paste works a little differently - you can do it all with the mouse or trackpad.

Double left-click highlights a whole word. As long as it is highlighted it is in memory and ready to be pasted. Once no longer highlighted, it is forgotten.

Paste by single-clicking the centre button.

Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V still work in most applications, but only the above in a terminal.

kmc, Mar 9, 2010
Ask a Question