Can't create bootable USB stick for OSX

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by andy2141, Oct 13, 2008.

1. andy2141

andy2141

Hope someone can point me in the right direction here...

I've been attempting to create and install OSX using the guide posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1505

I have a genuine iMac and am using disk utility and OSX tools to create the bootable stick. I'm sure I'm doing everything as per the instructions (i've tried enough times!) yet every time I put the USB stick in the Aspire One and attempt to boot from it all I get is a flashing cursor in the top left.

I've borrowed a friends external DVD drive and burnt the image to a DVD and this boots and installs fine, but ideally I'd like to get the install running from a USB stick.

Has anyone had the same problem or know of anything obvious that I'm missing here? I'm using msiwindowsx86.iso with disk utility and OSX86tools to install the bootloader. I get no obvious errors during the creation of the drive, but clearly I'm doing something stupid here.

Please put me out of my misery!

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

andy2141, Oct 13, 2008
  2. andy2141

denshaotoko808

denshaotoko808, Oct 13, 2008
  3. andy2141

johnwillo

I had that problem as well, when I tried to create a bootable, external USB HD using the "release" version of the osx86tool (1.0.150).

If you look at the deprecated downloads here:

http://code.google.com/p/osx86tools...=Filename+Summary+Uploaded+Size+DownloadCount

I found that version 1.0.149 worked as described to make my external drive bootable. It has worked for others with USB thumb drives. I hope that this works for you.

johnwillo, Oct 13, 2008
  4. andy2141

andy2141

Ok thanks. Just found that as well so will give it a go.

Probably not the right place to ask, but just in case.. where can I get a copy of EFI?

Also.. I've just put the usb drive that wouldn't boot in my iMac and attempted to boot of it. The installer starts up so I can't be far off.

I'm on BIOS v0.3114. Wonder if it's worth upgrading?

andy2141, Oct 13, 2008
  5. andy2141

andy2141

Yay! got it working.

Thanks johnwillo.. using an older version of osx86tool done the trick. Strange though as I did try that a few weeks ago with no joy. Anyways.. it's working now and that's one USB key I wont be formatting soon!

Thanks again..

andy2141, Oct 13, 2008
Ask a Question