Can't boot CD from USB drive to reinatll XP

Discussion in 'Windows' started by chokchai, Jun 4, 2009.

1. chokchai

chokchai

Hi,

I've been using Windows 7 on my AAO, and really like it. However, I want to sell the AAO to a friend and upgrade to the 10.1" model, and my friend wants XP reinstalled on it. I have a USB DVD drive and a real XP disk.

However, I can't boot from DVD drive, even though I've put it as the first option in the list. How do I get it to boot from the disk so I can reinstall XP?

Thanks.

chokchai, Jun 4, 2009
  2. chokchai

nmesisca

if the DVD is bootable there is no reason why you shouldnt be able to boot from it.
    double check if its bootable on another computer.
    does the DVD drive you're using support El-Torito standard for booting off dvd/cd media?
    some older models dont.
    check also the firmware of the DVD reader.

nmesisca, Jun 4, 2009
  3. chokchai

ronime

I use a powered USB 2.0 to IDE adapter with a bare desktop DVDR/W drive. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 reboots for the adapter and/or DVD drive to initialize properly. Booting the OS from the HD, accessing the DVD drive from the OS and then rebooting usually does the trick.

1. Check that your DVD is bootable in another computer (already mentioned by another forum member).
    2. Borrow another bootable DVD that is known to work on a different computer and check that it will boot with your AA1 + external DVD setup.
    3. Try the reboot trick detailed above.

Hope this helps.

ronime, Jun 4, 2009
  4. chokchai

chokchai

Yes, it was a faulty disk!! I've now done a clean installation of XP, and I'm stuck with a screen resolution of 800x600. I presume I need a driver to make it right.

G

chokchai, Jun 4, 2009
  5. chokchai

nickp34

nickp34, Jun 4, 2009
Ask a Question