Canon Camera Detection via USB

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mikeyd1, Oct 5, 2008.

1. mikeyd1

mikeyd1

Hi,

I've been trying to get my A1 to try and recognise my Canon 40d with no luck. I've tried gphoto2 --auto-detect and it simply displays the device as a PTP device, but I can't seem to interface with it. That is, I can't use the remote shutter release and it's not detectable in programs like picasa which means I can't transfer photos. Does anyone have any tips that they could share so that I can interface with my digital camera?

Thanks.

mikeyd1, Oct 5, 2008
  2. mikeyd1

mikeyd1

OK, so I've figure out how to transfer photos from the camera via the command line to the computer. Picasa and Digikam still don't work and I still can't do the remote shutter release. Any help still appreciated.

Also, although I've downloaded and (presumably) installed v2.4.2, v2.4.0 still appears to be in operation when using the command line.

mikeyd1, Oct 5, 2008
  3. mikeyd1

Obeonecanopener

Hi Mikey. I've been thinking about doing this as I've just got my 40D. Well; when the replacement gets here (seems mine had focus problems?) anyway. I'm too new to Linux to be of any use to you but I thought we could tag along together. If you explain the 'How too's' I'll try them out (keep it real simple though) and report back as to how it went. I've been searching the net but seem most 40D owners are happy with windows which is okay, be nice to be able to use the AA1 though as the screen isn't that bad and It does clone out quite well to my 19" CTX monitor. Mid you; I was reading a file that showed how to improve the image quality when using an external monitor. Think I'll search it out. After 40 years of film photography I'm going digital :eek:
    How long have you had your 40D for and have you had any problems? When I first tried my 50/1.8 on it the images looked quite soft to me?

All the best.
    Obe.

Obeonecanopener, Oct 5, 2008
  4. mikeyd1

mikeyd1

I've had my 40d for over 6 months now and I don't have any problems. Just user problems like not being used to the shallow depth of field at f1.8. Very tricky to compose good shots.

Anyway, this is as far as I have gotten.

In terminal (alt+f2) type "yum install gphoto2" - that should install gphoto2 if it isn't already installed. The problem is that it isntalls v2.4.0 when v2.4.2 is the latest.

Anyway, once gphoto2 is installed, you can do a few things with it like:

gphoto2 --auto-detect (detects the camera when it's plugged into the USB port - mine doesn't specify name and model (although has done a couple of random times), but usually specifies PTP transfer method)
    gphoto2 --capture-image (doesn't work on mine, but is supposed to remotely release the shutter)
    gphoto2 --list-files (should list all files on the camera - works for me)
    gphoto2 --get-all-files (should copy all files from the camera to the directory that you are in in the terminal - works for me)

That should get you started. I'm just not sure why I can't get the remote shutter release to work. I think it's something to do with the camera not being properly supported in v2.4.0 - I have no idea how to upgrade to the new version!

mikeyd1, Oct 6, 2008
  5. mikeyd1

hjongste

In stalling Picasa solved the problem for me. Picasa for linux is easily installed. Select the rpm version http://picasa.google.com/linux/download.html which should install without too many problems. You have to add it to your menu though. If you just want to test if it can recognise your canon Alt+ F2 then type 'picasa' and hit enter should start it.

hjongste, Oct 6, 2008
  6. mikeyd1

feed_sparky

You can use the installed gThumb image viewer, you just have to start it in root from the terminal (sudo gthumb), and then go to import images. The only problem is that you have to be logged in as root to move or delete the photo's, or just change the permissions after you import them.

I know this is not a great solution, but it worked for me with my digital cmaera (an old canon A70).

Hope this was of some help...

feed_sparky, Oct 6, 2008
Ask a Question