Cannot make USB recovery drive - it freezes on main PC!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by kev1926, Apr 8, 2009.

1. kev1926

kev1926

Hello there,

Can any one help me here? I'm trying to recover my One as I've been victim to the dreaded "HAL initialization failed" bug. However, when I start the DVD on my main PC, then select the "Make Recovery Drive" button with my stick in, it just freezes! I don't get to select my drive like the manual assures me I can do. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Is there an ISO or something similar I can just stick on my stick? ;)

Much help greatly appreciated! (I get my One last week and I've already broken it! :oops: )

Kevin.

kev1926, Apr 8, 2009
  2. kev1926

nottsstudent

Mine also does this. don't know what the issue is. Now my aspire one just goes to a black screen every time it starts up, it's ridiculous. pc world said i needed to reinstall it, and to do that i'd need to pay a million pounds for a dvd drive.

nottsstudent, Apr 20, 2009
  3. kev1926

Red5

I had the same problem... the recovery CD seems very fussy about which USB Flash drives it will work with! I have two Jetflash drives, and neither will work. I also have a couple of older "generic" drives which the installer recognised, unfortunately they aren't big enough.

I gave up and borrowed an external DVD drive and installed XP instead :p

Red5, Apr 21, 2009
  4. kev1926

baldyman77

I too have the black screen of death and my windows xp wont let me select were i want the recovery disc to goto,it just freezes.
    Iam new to linux and i am not amused :oops:
    There has got to be some way of getting this onto my usb i tried downloading the recovery and sat for 45 mins and all i got on my usb after i waited until 100% 524k.
    someone pllllleeeeaaassseee help :(

baldyman77, Apr 23, 2009
  5. kev1926

Ramsey

Ramsey, May 10, 2009
Ask a Question